Lighting question

Renewing my current aquarium equipment to an acceptable level of performance had led to a few questions and concerns. At this point my question is about lighting. I already have a 400 watt metal halide setup that needs a new bulb. The easiest thing to do is simply get a new bulb and go with that setup again.
    I would however like to discover if there are other ways to light my tank , get good results, and not see the hydro meter spin like a record player. I have seen energy saver compact florescent bulbs that are stated as being full spectrum with temps up to 6500 degrees Kelvin. They are not too costly to buy or operate. 5 of these bulbs over my 100 gallon tank would be equal to 375 watts while using only 80 watts of power.
    Dose anyone know if there are other power saver products out there that are stated as being full spectrum with higher temp ratings? Would I be doing OK to use 5 maybe 6 of these 6500 K bulbs if I run the 400 watt metal halide for 4 hours a day in the middle of the cycle? If this is a safe compromise it would save a fair amount of electricity?

robert

375w cannot be run at 80w juice. impossible. It would probaly actually be less light as some is lost to heat and such. What is in your tank? Sps can live with VHO but prefer point source lighting like MH. You also get that shimmer look as if you were in the ocean. most of those lamps you see in hardware stores for regular house lighting look crappy in tanks. VHO and MH and PC and T5 are the best[only routes] that I know of with a combo of VHO and MH being the most popular. In this hobby if you want light loving corals,you need light,if you need light,your going to pay.also, you'd be hard pressed to fit all those lights and a Halide in a canopy over a 100w.
    SUNAQUATICS here on this site have awsome deals on 400w bulbs and I've seen them. very nice.

Hi Johnny Rock.
    The bulbs I saw were on-line and designed for aquarium use. I know the ones at the hardware stores are no good at all. These ones I saw are compact florescent bulbs that use 20 watts each to produce the same amount of light as a 75 watt incandescent bulb. So what I meant was 375 watt ebullient for 80 watts use.
    In any case the cost of a new metal Halide bulb is not an issue. I was more concerned about the on going costs of running it 12 hours a day every day. I remember what my hydro bills used to be and electricity was a lot cheaper 5 years ago. I was hoping that perhaps there would have been other good options developed over the 5 years that I was out of the hobby. If not I guess it will be MH again.
    Thanks
    Rob

rob

stick with the halides but theres no nead to run them 12 hours. I run mine 8 and have my VHO 1 hour before and after.
    I here ya about the hydro. If your just going softies and a few LPS then you can get away with what you want but if you are an SPS man then keep the MH.

Hi again Hi Johnny Rock
    I currently have only fish in the tank and I don't want to acquire any corals or even live rock for that matter until the tank is truly ready for them. I think I will likely use the MH and replace the ballast with the newer electronic type. I am told they are somewhat easier on the hydro bill.
    thanks again for your input. I do appreciate it .
    Rob