Thread: Refugium Set-up

Refugium Set-up

Ok, i have a new 18 inch refugium on the way.
    Question: What exactly should i do with it? just put in about 3 inches of sand and macro algae and leave its light on 24 hours a day?
    all input is always welcome.
    Albert
    My Photos

CAT
    Yep, that's just about it. My fuge has 2 inches of sand, a few pieces of l.r. and 4 types of macro algae. Also, a few extra corals. I have double p.c. bulb on it. I've switched the lights to reverse photoperiod because the pH drops this time of year (windows are all closed) - my lights run for about 15 hours a day.
    Don't take life too seriously; no one gets out alive.

photo gallery: http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/showgallery.php?ppuser=424

You might want to be careful about what types of corals you put in there. Anything that feeds off of stuff in the water is no good in there. Only phototrophic tpes are good. Anything that grows or spawns in there will get caught and eaten by the corals. A refuge is exactly what the name implies..., a safe place for bugs and critters to grow and multiply without being consumed. The only type of invert also good for a refuge is snails to clean the glass somewhat for you to see inside. Anything else such as crabs and little fish will hunt down the microlife and render your fuge not very efficient.

Do i need to specifically "seed" my refugium? or just set it up and the little critters will just make their way in their somehow (through the water)?
    And is there a specific need for various kinds of macro-algae? and lastly, if hair algae grows in there, should i leave it to compete with the hair algae in my main tank? or remove it and just leave the macro algae in place?
    Albert
    My Photos

in my refugium i have grape caolerpa also some spagetti algea from toutouche and the copepods just love it

Don't worry about hair algae to much...most refugiums don't have intense enough light to have hair algae over run macro. if you start with a good bunch of macro algae, it should beat out the hair algae. None the less, hair algae is OK in the refugium.

Don't seed your refugium....just add sand, a few pieces of small Live Rock, and then your macro algae. The critters will be in there within a week, and they'll just take off from there.

Good Luck
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

sounds great!
    Albert
    My Photos

ok, its all up and running now (18 inches long, holds about 3 gallons i believe) water comes in from the right side and goes up over about a 5 inch baffle (to keep the sand out of the intake) and then flows over a baffle which goes almost all the way up to the top on the left side, back in by siphon. in the middle, there is a 2 inch baffle close to the top (not sure what this is for).
    Questions:
    My biggest fear with my tank is always having it overflow. with the return as a siphon, do i need to worry about this somehow breaking and having the refugium overflow onto my floors?
    What is the point of the middle baffle?
    I assume i should keep all life out of there, except for perhaps snails - should i put a snail in there, or leave it out (one less thing to clog the siphon).
    how much macro algae should i keep in there, and how do i know when to cut it? do i fill in as much as i can fit? just throw in a handful and let it grow?
    i currently have about 4 inches of live sand and a piece of live rock in there - sounds good?
    Albert
    My Photos