Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping SPS

Keeping SPS

what reason, if any, would there be for my tank to not be suitable for SPS corals? i know in general soft corals are supposed to be the easiest (beginner) corals, LPS are the next step up (intermediate) and SPS are considered difficult (advanced).
    i am not the type to like to limit myself to only one type of coral. and being that there are some very nice SPS corals, i do intend to keep some in my tank as well. my calcium is above 400 and alk above 3 with a pH above 8.3 (sometimes falling a little lower at night). nitrates are <4 magnesium around 1300, etc. so if my chemistry is good, and the corals would not be more than 12 inches from PC lights and i have an Tunze Stream on the way (should arrive in about 2 weeks), is there anything that should be preventing me from getting SPS?
    Albert
    My Photos

I can't see any reason why not.

Most people suggest that your tank be Mature.. Meaning the tank has been up and running for what they say should be a year of stability.. No issues with Alage break outs, nitrates ammonias that sort of thing... Usally by this point people have an idea of how there tank acts and what it comsumes and how much.. so they are compensating for it.. Either with Heavy dosing of Cal.. or using reactors..

Its just a matter really of having your tank set up right for the sps you are looking to keep.. and having the knowledge of sps in general.. How they grow.. Who they attack.. amount of light and water flow.. what they feed off and how much they feed.. Its just alot more reading involved as usally SPS do not give you the warning signs that other corals will.. Usally once a sps starts to Bleach or sloth.. if you dont see it right away you could lose them all.. Its just alittle more care needed..

Thanks
    mike

Alrha,
    Is that Alk reading of 3 in DKH? If os, then it's way too low.
    As Toooloud mentioned, your tank has to be good and stable. SPS don't give warnings, oce they start to go downhill, you surely lose somethings.

ALRHA..

What you want to do.. is do regular testing..

When i first started for 3 months straight.. i did test every second day, one time at nite, one time at noon.... and did not add any sps untill i had my tank stable.. meaning nothing changed.. then once i had stable readings.. i went another 2 months testing weekly different times of the day.. to ensure all the levels where the same.. once i got to this point.. i moved in SPS

I agree, a mature tank of 1 year old minimum, that's stable enough to house SPS.
    The PC's don't seem to be enough light and MH would be better, essentially you've only got 130wt daylight, and most of those guys like 250wt and up, increasing with tank size, so 400wt may be better in your size tank.
    I'm assuming the 3 is in meg/l and not dkh.
    It's normal for the PH to drop a little at night.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Yea i really dont know if PC's would do it for SPS, i would atleast go to VHO 10ks 4 of them and run the a set of the pcs over your sump/refugium? and run a set of pc actinics? or all 4 pc actinics and atleast 2 10k VHO... i run VHO on my tank and sps are fine.. there is hardly any gorwth under VHO as they would need MH to grow.

As for the PH.. if you setup a nice size sump and refugium you will be able to Maintain a stable PH, Myself i have the refugium light 24/7 and the Sump( 50Gs) light 24/7.. and that stablizes my PH.. no swing at all..

depends on how much PC he is running and he has stated that he would keep them up close to the water surface. While not the best of conditions he should have no probs. The tank mature thing is for sure and I thought he was set up for some time? could be wrong. Definatly buy a good coral book ALRHA.something I need as well but I've got good old TOUTOUCHE to help as well.

OLD??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

greg

shit thats right I might be older than you! 39. But then again I'm still sexy as hell:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast