Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sure Flow 1600 Problem (The Maxi Jet Mod)

Its been a long time since Ive posted or been on this forum, so hello to everyone!

Well, Im in the process of upgrading my 75 gallon to a 110 reef. And I recently picked up two Sure Flow 1600 mod's for the Maxi Jet and put them on brand new MJ 1200's. I then silicone glued the Sure Flow mounting hardware to the glass of my 110 and filled the tank. i figured the silicone would be strong enough to hold and provide some cushion for the vibration of the MJ.

But when the Sure Flow's got fired up, it was super noisy. They produce a great currently/waterflow, but I cant get over the insane noise they make. I was wondering if anyone else had this complaint.

Tips, tricks, help!? TIA!
    "Mmmm...Skimmate"

They might take some time to wear in. How long have they been running?

Been running for just shy of 48 hrs.

I definately noticed it 'settle in' after the first 2 hrs of operation, but even a day later it was super loud.

I just want to say that Ive check and tripled checked my assembly of the product. Nothing wrong there; really was a simple 'plug and play' mod.
    "Mmmm...Skimmate"

I have the same issue on one of mine so bad I unplugged it. I tried to ither change it with other MJ 1200s and always noisy! And it wasn't at first it just started to be and has not stopped.

Can you tell if the noise is coming from the block or the prop?

Prop. Only because of the sound sounds like a very fast ticking. As if the blades were tapping against something.

Is the pump turning in the proper direction? Maybe unplug/plug it a few time and whatever is making the noise will wear itself out.

interesting.

my noise is not a ticking. Its not the prop's as Ive checked for clearance. Ive even run the MJ without the prop cover (prop exposed) and there is no change in the annoying noise.
    "Mmmm...Skimmate"

Well mine is on aave machine and is on a 6 minute cycle with another modded MJ1200 which is fine. I tried to adjust the bumper but that only last for 1 or 2 cycles.

Oh man, Ive tried the on/off thing several times.

As a computer geek my initial instinct is to (1) use the on/off switch and (2) bang it on something. Neither of those worked. So i took it apart and put it back together and that didnt do anything either. I cant figure out whats wrong.

Its a damn powerful pump too. When you look at it as it's running the whole thing vibrates constantly. I asked the dudes at Marinescape about mounting it and they said it vibrates enough that the stock mounting hardware for the MJ's wont hold it (which is why i glued it to the glass, hehe)
    "Mmmm...Skimmate"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast