Adding remote DSB-any concerns?

hey all, anyone see any issues with adding a remote dsb to an up and running 90 gal with average amount of liverock and shallow in-tank sand bed?

I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to run the new remote dsb to run on its own for a period of time before plumbing it to the 90's system. 90 has been up and running for about 6-8 months. Injecting a "non live" dsb to my 90's system concerns me with regards to cyano etc

thanks,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    hey all, anyone see any issues with adding a remote dsb to an up and running 90 gal with average amount of liverock and shallow in-tank sand bed?

I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to run the new remote dsb to run on its own for a period of time before plumbing it to the 90's system. 90 has been up and running for about 6-8 months. Injecting a "non live" dsb to my 90's system concerns me with regards to cyano etc
    i would just hook it up, remember to keep the light and detritus out and there should be no issue with algae. running on its own wouldn't help unless you used old tank water, the bacteria needs nitrogen to grow.

HTH
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

ok thanks. I posted same question on rc and those that commented said theres no concern.

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post
    i would just hook it up, remember to keep the light and detritus out and there should be no issue with algae. running on its own wouldn't help unless you used old tank water, the bacteria needs nitrogen to grow.

HTH
    Would there be a problem with a DSB in a refugium?

Quote Originally Posted by deafgoose View Post
    Would there be a problem with a DSB in a refugium?
    no not at all but you would want to grow only chaetomorpha ( or other macro that doesn't need to attach ) as your macro algae, so you don't have to disturb the sand bed to prune. you will also need to add some nassarius snails and or crabs ( not so good for the refuge part of the refugium :b7: ) to keep the surface clean and free of detritus and algae.

HTH
    `

My Gallery

This may be a newb question but here it goes. :b2:

What is the point of a refugium? I thought it was a place to grow macro algae. What exactly would snails and crabs be killing that is so beneficial?

What is the point of a refugium? I thought it was a place to grow macro algae. What exactly would snails and crabs be killing that is so beneficial?
    a refugium is a place to allow plants and animals to grow without risk of being eaten ( refuge ).

this is particularly helpful for maintaining food levels for fish with specific feeding habits. for example the mandarin requires pods to live ( even if you think he is eating something else ), they can actually deplete the tank of pods in a very short time. by having pods living in your refugium there is a reproducing food source that is constantly being pumped back up to the tank.

another example is with your macro algae, if it were in the tank your fish may start to eat it. this defeats the purpose of growing macro for nutrient export and limits the algae's ability to absorb nutrients by reducing its size, or removing it all together.

by adding any predator ( not the nassarius, just the crabs from my previous post ) there is a chance that they will eat the pods ( or whatever else you have in there ).

this can be avoided by adding a rubble pile ( LR ) or similar to allow the micro fauna somewhere to hide and flourish that the crabs ( or other predators ) can't get to.

HTH
    `

My Gallery

Cool. Thanks for that amazing explination.

I dont plan to keep a mandarin or any type of fish that requires pods in my 40B so I have nothing to worry about.

I am not a fan of crabs for a cleanup crew anyways.

Looks like I will be adding a 6" DSB in my 12"x18" refuge with some cheato and a handful of nassarius snails. :b2:

Cool. Thanks for that amazing explination.
    no problem :b16:
    `

My Gallery