Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Progress pics of my 40g drilled bare bottom

Some of you may have followed my 90g AGA bare bottom build on RC and I figured I would start another build thread for my new 40g breeder.
    I sold my house and the new owner wanted my 90g but I kept the live rock and fish.

Aqueon 40g Breeder (36x18x16) with black stand.

I used 40mm and 45mm diamond coated drill bits for 3/4" and 1" bulkheads used for the return and overflow drain.

Black Avery vinyl was used for the background on both the display tank and sump.

I got some black 3/8" acrylic for my overflow box and I used a 1/4" router bit to make each tooth one inch long.

I am using 3/4" HDPE (High-density polyethylene) starboard also known as cutting board material for the bottom of my tank to protect against rock slides. I also think it looks a whole lot better than a glass bottom. I rounded off the bottom edges with my router so that it would sit flush on the bottom.

More 3/8" black acrylic was used for the baffles in my 30g breeder sump. I also cut teeth with my router for the refugium baffle.

Here are my plumbing parts. I did not use them all because I feel that it's easier to return the fittings I won’t use instead of going back to the store 3x.

I ordered seven 4" 100micron filter socks from wickedfrags so that I can swap them out daily for a whole week. Thanks Dave!

I originally bought two SureFlow 1600 maxijet upgrade kits with magnets and found out they were overkill for this size tank. It was like a Jacuzzi in there so I got two Tunze 6025 powerheads. They only push 660gph but when you use a dremel and cut out the inner tube you can expect to get over 1100gph.

Here is how it looks all setup with about 70lb of Haitian live rock and 60 astrea snails.

Here is my sump in action. The pvc fittings in the return section were placed in there to keep my reef lobster comfortable. I will keep him there until he goes to a new home. He killed my yellow watchman goby and my cleaner shrimp pair. (expensive meals)

My refugium is not currently setup yet. So far I added 60lb of aragonite sand as a remote DSB.

Pics of my orange monticap and yellow tonga leathers. I have some zoo's, ricordias, orange plate coral and two RBTA's that I will take close-up pics of later. The two pics bellow were taken under T5 lighting.

The lighting I am currently using (Coralife Lunar AquaLight) is crap. It was originally used for my old 30g long QT tank. I will order a 6x39w T5 Tek light with two Aquablue, two ATI blue plus and two ATI Pro Color.

I am also looking for an ultra quiet external skimmer that will fit under my stand. I have a footprint of 10"x14"x22" to work with.

Beautiful looking tank! Where did you get the Starboard from? My next tank is going to be BB.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenzy View Post
    Beautiful looking tank! Where did you get the Starboard from? My next tank is going to be BB.
    Thanks!

I really hate how my crappy lighting is making the tank look so yellow. These corals looked so much better under my old T5 tek light. I was going to wait to post this build thread until I had my light and skimmer but figured that I would just update with pics when I upgrade.

I got the starboard from Canus Plastics @ 300 Lisgar Street.
    29g Biocube, 2x90w Aqua Illumination LED light modules, Vortech MP20, Sapphire BC29 skimmer, GHL Profilux Plus II with 3pump doser.

i was wondering where you had gotten to, i could have sworn i read you packed it in. glad to see your doing another tank, this one looks as well set up as the built in. i can't believe the bottom of the tank wasn't tempered, did you buy it that way or do they come untempered in that size?

i think your going to need to put a CUC in the DSB, especially if your going to grow macro in there as well. some nassarius snails should do the trick.

where is the external skimmer going? , couldn't you fit and internal in the right side of the sump?

glad to see your back in it, please keep us posted as the tank progresses :b7:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

I too was wondering where the skimmer was.

A very neat, clean, well-thought set-up. I've been thinking about re-doing my office tank (55 gallon with no sump) and if I do, I'll seriously consider your design.

ijo
    Great job!! It looks great!!! I didn't notice your lighting choice...

IJO

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast