Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar

Reef tear-down, to be re-setup...

Ok guys and gals,
    As many of you know, I've been having MAJOR problems with my tank ever since the crash I had in July.

For those who don't know, my reef crashed for unknown reasons in July. Ammonia went through the roof, and there was no way to bring it down. Including 100% water changes. I ended up tearing down the tank, scrubbing all the rock, getting new southdown sand for DSB, cleaning the tank and all equipment...

In any case, it has been a constant fight with my tank ever since the crash. To this day, I still have detectable ammonia and Nitrite (0.1) and Nitrate readings are at 30!

The one and only thing that has remained the same since the crash is the rock. So I'm going to tear down my tank in January... AGAIN. I will take the old rock out and buy 100 LBS of Vanuatu rock from AC. I will either dry out the old rock, or let it cycle whatever out of it's system in a rubbermaid container. None of the old rock will be re-introduced into the new setup.

In any case, I'm expecting the tank will cycle for approximately a month. To this end, I will set up temporary holding tanks (temporarily using my old rock for filtration) for my livestock while the tank cycles with the new rock. I also have a 30 gallon tank running on it's own system. I will be able to put some livestock there as well. I doubt that I can put a hippo tang, a kole tang, 2 chromis, a clown, a redbar goby, and a cleaner shrimp in that small of a tank for 30 days, right?

However, I don't know what to do about the substrate. Should I junk my 5" Southdown DSB? Wash it out in fresh water? or get new sand and set up a new sandbed... Should I even use a DSB or go with a 1-2" sandbed, forgoing the DSB?

I want to hear everyone's opinions on all of this....
    Even some words of encouragement...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Hi Tang_man,
    I`m sorry to hear about your trouble. Anyhow I admire your patience and perseverance.

I would remove the live stock and live rock and add 30 lbs of new cured LR, take new reading of Ammonia and nitrite after a week or so, if the reading go down or zero, add more new LR and you don`t need to totally tear down your tank. If things don`t change, isolate your display and running it with a few power head for another week, take new reading ...

I think you need to find the source of your problem this time.

Good luck.

That's just it... I think the source of the problem is the rock. I think that the "bio-filter" of the rock has died. I've read of this happenning on several accounts.

I tried adding new rock to "seed" the old rock. Which has lead me to where the tank is today. It's merely surviving. I'm currently having to use a fluval canister filter to keep the ammonia down.

Besides, if there IS something wrong with my current rock, I don't want it to spread to new rock.

As for my patience and perseverance, Thanks... I owe it to many people who have helped me through this so far, and notably my wife, who has been very patient.

Here's my unfortunate thread on RC when and while my tank crashed...
    http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hlight=ammonia

t_m,

If you do tear the tank down then it's time to change the o/flow pipe for a 1 1/2" - 2" dia to be able to maintain the flow levels you wanted ....
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

Where in town can I take the tank to have the 1" hole made to 1 1/2" without it costing me an arm and a leg?

Do the enlargement with the Dremel and diamond bit like Barry did in the DIY forum ... :thumb:

C'mon Vince you gotta live a little more dangerously ....

Worst case scenario: Tank breaks and you gotta get a bigger one!!!!! :thumb:
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

hehe... can't take the chance... the wife is already being VERY leniant by letting me buy 100 LBS of new rock.

It may prove a PITA to enlarge the hole. Besides, I don't necessarily need 1100gph going through the sump. I may just get a MAG 950 for the sump return, and use my current MAG12 on a closed loop with the RAT.

vince

IMO. This just can't be. with skimming+dsb+liverock[suspect] even if 1 wasn't opporating at max the rest of your filtration should have 0 problems with bioload! I just don't get it. I'm seriously thinking that something is in the water that is either making thru the RO/DI [dought that but possible and would explain many probs in MONTREAL tanks] or something else messing up your test results. Maybe the DSB thing has ran its course but I see no evidence that thats a truth yet. Are your corals living? thriving? growing? how are the fish reacting? you have a crytic zone to boot! Don't waste your money on any more live rock. It only takes minute parts of bacteria to seed dead rock so even if your rock was nuked by something theres bacteria all over the place. You just started up fresh and seeded your tank. It just can't be dead rock.Impossible I say.

Johnny... I don't know what else to do. You know I've tried just about everything... It's very disheartening to see my reef slowly dying despite all my efforts.
    I really doubt it's the source water. My RO/DI is showing 0 TDS. As for the DSB, it's a new DSB which was set up in July after the crash AND seeded with livesand from 3 different sources. So that's not the source of the problem either. The corals are slowing dying. I'm unable to keep SPS in the current tank's condition. The only thing surviving in terms of coral seems to be softies, mushrooms, and several button polyps. The fish seem indifferent. However 0.1 ammonia wouldn't have much affect on fish anyhow.

Yes, I have a cryptic zone.... maybe not enough at 10 lbs... I'm not saying my current rock is dead, otherwise my levels would be worse. I'm saying that my current rock's bio-filter is either not keeping up or has run it's course. OR as several people have mentioned, whatever caused my crash in July is still within the rocks...

I don't seem to have any other choice. It's not for lack of trying...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast