Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

pressure rated vs non?

okay, I'M a tad confused about a few things here. I have a 7 foot skimmer that I'm putting online soon and I'm getting conflicting reports about which pump to use! I was told to use the LITTLE GIANT4 MDXQ-SC for my LIFEREEF VS3-72'' skimmer.[this is on there site].
    I went to J&L's and there site says to use the pressure rated LITTLE GIANT4 MDQ-SC as well as another source said to use the pressure rated pump. Why would LIFEREEF suggest the non pressure rated pump on this 72'' skimmer? Am I missing something? I also might get the VELOCITY T4 ,

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I thought that the LITTLE GIANT4 MDXQ-SC was pressure rated.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

so did I but when I go to J&LAQUTICS they say that the MDQ-SC is for pressure rated applications? as well as another site.

I'd trust Jeff at LifeReef. He knows his equipment. I have skimmer envy, mine is just 2'
    Susan

When it comes to the little giant Pumps the "x" Series are the Currculation series pumps..

the 2,3 and 4 MDQX's.

then the standard MDQ Series are the Pressure rated pumps.

as for the LIFEREEF VS3-72'' its a Venturi Skimmer.. So it would not need a pressure pump becouse there is no Head loss .. I mean if it where a downdraft skimmer where the water was being pumped up 72 inches then down through a Becket injector sure.. But the little reef skimmers are not losing head as the water is being pumped in through a Venturi at the bottom of the skimmer!

Hope this helps!!

Mike

mmmmmm? now that is very interesting! I never thought about that. I ordered the VELOCITY T4 anyways as Ivan was getting mad because I kept changing my mind!["lol" ijo never gets mad] anyone have any probs with me using the VELOCITY T4? any issues I should worry about?

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Velocity pumps are reputed to be great pumps that run nice and quiet.
    I have heard of heat issues though. I would get one.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Mike, why would you not need a pressure pump on a venturi? Is that not the whole idea of the pressure model? I dont believe its only to drive to a high head but its ability to work under back pressure, which is what pumping to any height will do.

Most all beckett manufacturers, suggest the use of pressure rated pumps with their units. As the beckett is basically a fancy venturi, I think it would fit there also.

I ran my becketts with several different non pressure pumps and none compared with driving them with the Mak4 pressure rated pump.

If it was my 7ft. venturi, I would use an Iwaki 55, as a minimum.
    Doug

velocity t4

I sure hope this pump can cut it! Its already on the way. If not, I'll save it for my big tank and order another.

Im not saying that you wont get better results out of a Pressure pump.. Just saying there is no need for it.. Now if he where to say he is using the same pump to push the skimmer and returns.. then sure pressure all the way.. but for it to drive the one Skimmer a Zero head going into the skimmer i dont see a need for it.. and i have never had need for it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast