Trying to remove anemone

My anemone that's been hosting my false clowns has split into 2 seperate anemones. It's attached to a very porous piece of LR. I made an attempt at trying to get it to let go, but I'm having no luck, it's holding onto the rock so hard, that the only way I think I can get it off is by taking out my giant jackhammer, and chisselling it off right at the foot. I tried the tickling the foot with a toothbrush, but this does nothing. (or maybe I'm not that good at tickling sea creatures). I'm also really impatient and FLIP RIGHT OUT when things aren't going according to plans... Are there any thoughts or tips on how to get this stubborn thing to let go? :b12:
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Sell the rock with the anemone attached

I have a bit of bond myself with the rock. I don't want the anemone to win. but that'll be the last resort.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by Porcupinepuffer View Post
    I have a bit of bond myself with the rock.

No glove no love :b2:

Try point a powerhead directly at it and annoy it off. Also try moving it to a shaded area and it will move on its own. If it is not too porus then you could try rubbing an icecube on the foot and it may let go. Or sell the anemone on the rock but make a deal that you get the rock back once it moves off.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

I have used the multople ice cube trick many times...the trick is to get the anenome to let go of an edge with thwe ice cube and then keep inserting the cubes under that edge. It will slowly let go. Beware in my experiance this can take half an hour or so.

Good luck.
    77 Gal Mixed reef -33 gal sump -20 gal fuge
    440 watt vho lighting - 2 watt moon lights

do you put the ice cube in a ziploc bag to prevent the water from contaminating the tank??

i have never had much success in getting the to let go unless they are on the glass, i usually just sell the anemone with the rock. if i sell it to the LFS, they give me a hunk of rock to replace the piece i gave them.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

No, if your water is that bad you could freeze RO/DI water but a few ice cubes didn't have any noticeable affect in my tank.
    77 Gal Mixed reef -33 gal sump -20 gal fuge
    440 watt vho lighting - 2 watt moon lights

If a couple of ice cubes foul your system, you have bigger problems than splitting anemones Hope you don't drink that water. It really would make the occasional 5 gallons of tap water I put in my system for top off when I am too lazy to make water seem really really bad.

Jason

I was going to make sure it was ro/di ice cubes just for the sake of playing it safe