Thread: Big Move

Big Move

We have started to pack everything, and we are moving from Orleans to Bourget on the 30th of this month. Any tips, or suggestions on moving our 30 gallon tank safely? How much water is recommended to leave in the tank for the 40 minute drive, etc..

Our biggest concern is the larger rocks at the bottom of our tank. We might be able to take out over 75% of them, but the two big ones have things attached to them that we would rather not disturb.

We also have a clean, perfectly cut piece of styrofoam fit exactly to sit inside the tank to avoid water from splashing out in case of a rough ride..
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better -Albert Einstein

Never EVER move a tank with water/sand/rocks in it. Its easier to use some rubbermaid containers for the rock and sand which should be rinsed clean before reusing.

You'll be disturbing it alright. the momentum of the water sloshing back and forth will be too hard on the aquarium. And if a piece of rock gets going, watch out! You'll have a very wet vehicle.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

lol damnit! NOT what I wanted to hear..

I was hopinh I could do this without removing the substrate, but then again. I would much rather do it the right way and still have a tank when its all over.

Would it be okay if I took ALL the rocks out and just left the substrate and a tiny amount of water?
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better -Albert Einstein

We did that in one of our tanks, and within 2 weeks, the front panel leaked.

I do not recommend this... from experience, take EVERYTHING out of the tank, put it in containers. It might sound like a lot of work, but it's better than having your wife wake you up because the tank is leaking everywhere.

Reminds me of the time I screwed with the Prizm skimmer..

Quote Originally Posted by thisisthepart View Post
    Reminds me of the time I screwed with the Prizm skimmer..

This is the wife quoting: It was'nt the prizm it was the fluval! You opened it before unplugging it ! LOL Thankfully you had a mop bucket in handy ! Ive never seen so much water on the floor! It must have used about 5 towels ! Ha ha ha ha ! Lesson learned!

5 towels wont be enough if the seem splits because you moved the tank with anything in it...

Quote Originally Posted by DARK View Post
    5 towels wont be enough if the seem splits because you moved the tank with anything in it...

Wife quoting again!

My father has taken quite an interest in out tank ! He has fabricated (for lack of better words) a serving tray to carry it without having to move or pick up the tank!

If we move everything(rocks, fish, water) in separate containers....can we leave the sand bed in?

The problem we seem to be having is time restraints! We were told we had 3 hrs to move and re-set up the tank ! Our new house is about a 45 min drive at a decent speed so if we are driving cautiously it may take more then that !

We are just trying to come up with a time saving plan if possible !

Thank you all for the helpful advice....better safe then have a leaking tank!