Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flow VS growth patterns for Acropora

There can be many different types of flow on reefs which can give acroporas different growth patterns.

I would like to know if anybody has observed these differences on natural reefs and/or in aquariums?

Today there are many types of pumps and wave makers of which many will give positive results in Acroporas. This is to help me make up my mind as to which of these will give me the results I want.

Ive read somewhere that some areas of natural reefs will have a more linear flow that will go in one direction during rising tide and an other dirrection during the falling tide. There are also other areas which are near the crest which will have more of a constant back and forth motion created by waves. Perhaps there are other types of water motion that Im not mentioning..

What type of branching should I expect from the different types of water motion out there?

Hopefully somebody has some insight on that which will help me make my next tank what I want it to be?

Maybe there is an other thread that gets into this? please link if possible.

Thank you.
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

liv
    I noticed that the sps that are directly under a jet grow in a denser cluster pattern. the ones with an more random current have a thinker center with branches uniformally around the body.

EDIT: I do like both patterns, but I find the higher current sps to be much easier to frag

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Thanks liv. What kind of flow do you think would be better to get the same growth as the coral in my avatar?

liv
    I think the slower random flow.

I have a slow random pattern from my OM Squirt, but I also have a Sieo on a cycle of 35 minutes on, 30 minutes off. My only acros are tri-colours, but they have more new growth on the side facing the sieo.

Otherwise my experiences match what liv is describing.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I have had many different kinds of flow over the years for my sps. I am now quite happy with a couple of seios (1500) and my return. I find any acro in fairly close to the seios grow faster than the ones further away. But I have also put high flow acros closer to this flow. Determining the flow you want should be aquestion of the sps you want to keep, and not necesarily how you want them to grow. Flow is just one part of that equation.
    Jason

Thanks guys.

Jaden, thats interesting, Ive heard just the opposite. Apparently, the same colony can develop different growth paterns depending on the type of flow theyre getting. This is something Ive read on RC somewhere, could it be true?

There can be many different growth forms of any sps, but I don't believe that flow is the only determining factor. My high flow acros (efflos, tableing nana and others) grow more quickly and fuller (just my oobservation and nothing scientific) when closer to my seios. I have had them farther away and the growth didn't seem as good. Now it could have been something else, but I am sure that flow played a part. Good luck
    Jason

liv
    I had to move a few sps because they were in direct flow and I was just killing the part that was direct flow.. kind of started to make a hole in the coral. I also moved my orange digi. sps lower as it seem like was wanted to go around the flow and not in it. again. personal observation.
    Now I can't get it lower in my tank...LOL I also noticed my orange digi possibly spawning about 2-3months ago. I now have orange digi growing in a bunch of spots in the tank, all the way to the bottom too ( which is quite interesting because I thought they needed quite a bit of light.. and wouldn't survive at the bottom...they may deprived of light ) I now know sps will grow in my tank at any depth. I also see that some of my sps are directly pointing at the lights now, the back sps point towards the center of the tank, ( so leaning forward ) and my sps closer to the middle are pointing direct upwards and a bit leaning more to the center ( so sps on right side seem to point left & viceversa )

will be interested over the coming months, as I have placed a sps sps in direct current and will try to record closer what happens.
    so far, of of the sps which had a regular " O " sort of look when looking from the top now looks more like " ) " where the flow points to the concave part of the shape.

I think light is also a major factor in their growth pattern.
    I am sure i'd get a different pattern if I had no metal halides and just a ton of t5's. my mix of t5's and metal halides is greatly dominated by MH, and I believe this is why most of my corals seem to follow the bulbs.

lets keep this thread active! anybody else noticed the same results ?

Quote Originally Posted by jaden View Post
    There can be many different growth forms of any sps, but I don't believe that flow is the only determining factor. My high flow acros (efflos, tableing nana and others) grow more quickly and fuller (just my oobservation and nothing scientific) when closer to my seios. I have had them farther away and the growth didn't seem as good. Now it could have been something else, but I am sure that flow played a part. Good luck
    Jason
    I agree with you. Interesting that you talk about your Eflo and tabeling nana. These corals are some of the corals I want to keep in my tank as well as acropora formosa, Acropora Gemifera, Acropora Humilis etc. i realy like all the thick branching acroporas.

I guess Im tring to find out particularly what type of flow do these corals tend to be found in?..

Not sure yet if im going to to go with waveboxes or not. I might just go with a few Tunze 6201's and a controler?.. Also will be doing a surge system, Ill soon have the space to experiment on this, cant wait.

Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    I had to move a few sps because they were in direct flow and I was just killing the part that was direct flow.. kind of started to make a hole in the coral. I also moved my orange digi. sps lower as it seem like was wanted to go around the flow and not in it. again. personal observation.
    Now I can't get it lower in my tank...LOL I also noticed my orange digi possibly spawning about 2-3months ago. I now have orange digi growing in a bunch of spots in the tank, all the way to the bottom too ( which is quite interesting because I thought they needed quite a bit of light.. and wouldn't survive at the bottom...they may deprived of light ) I now know sps will grow in my tank at any depth. I also see that some of my sps are directly pointing at the lights now, the back sps point towards the center of the tank, ( so leaning forward ) and my sps closer to the middle are pointing direct upwards and a bit leaning more to the center ( so sps on right side seem to point left & viceversa )

will be interested over the coming months, as I have placed a sps sps in direct current and will try to record closer what happens.
    so far, of of the sps which had a regular " O " sort of look when looking from the top now looks more like " ) " where the flow points to the concave part of the shape.

I think light is also a major factor in their growth pattern.
    I am sure i'd get a different pattern if I had no metal halides and just a ton of t5's. my mix of t5's and metal halides is greatly dominated by MH, and I believe this is why most of my corals seem to follow the bulbs.

lets keep this thread active! anybody else noticed the same results ?

Montipora digitatas tent to be very tough corals. They dont need much light to grow. What are you using for flow in your tank?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast