Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixing Clowns

ijo

Mixing Clowns

Since the tank crash took pepper away(a male darwin)... I was thinking on adding either a false or true perc to pair up with the female darwin(salt). Do you think its doable? I like the darwins for their rare-ability but I also like the true percs for their color!! why not get both :b2: thoughts?

IJO

i think ive seen some pictures on reef central about this before...

i think someone eve had pair of completely different clowns, like saddle back and some kind of perc i believe but i could be wrong... they could have just been friends and not "paired" hahaha

sorry to hear about your fish loss though. howd everythign else go?

Sponsor - Ottawa Inverts
    There are hybrids of clowns out there so they must occasionally "pair"
    Hours:
    Saturdays: 10am - 6pm
    Sundays: 10am - 12pm "Salty Sundays"
    Sundays: 12pm - 6pm

Contact us at:
    613-884-SALT
    613-884-7258

powder18

hey ivan, i got my tru perc and misbar black darwin perc in my 55gal tank right now. i do have a problem that i find its tru perc harrasing my misbar black perc or darwin. I wanted to pair up with it and i dont think will workout . its been almost 2 weeks from now when i bought my black perc. i see everyday that the true perc always chasing him. so i dont know if its going to pair up it. anyway i just want to share you my experience right now about having diffirent kind of clown fish trying to pair up. nice fish i really love to see them both in my green LTA swimming together but i dont think would workout until next time:b8:

just out of curiosity Powder, what was the size difference of the two clowns when you they first meet??
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

IMO your asking for trouble doing it.

I would not mix species of clownfish...especially in a 26 gallon tank. However, a Darwin clown is Amphiprion ocellaris , and an Oscellaris or "fake perculia" clownfish is also Amphiprion ocellaris. In otherwords, they are the same species so you can put a Darwin and an Orange Ocellaris together.

However.

Make sure you add a juvenile orange ocellaris (just find a baby one), since your Darwin may already be either a male or a female. If the Darwin is female, the juvenile will turn male and if the Darwin is male, it will turn female and the juvenile will turn male. What you don't want, is an existing female Darwin and add a female orange Ocellaris....they will fight even though they are the same species.

I've been really tempted to get a beautiful maroon clown at Marinescape to add to my 46 gal. with my existing Ocellaris clown. They said it wouldn't be a good idea in such a small tank, but when I upgrade to my 135 it would be ok. Apparently the 6 foot tank would provide enough real estate for the 2 of them to stay seperate and not fight to the death!

liv
    You are correct Beertech, I have 2 pairs in my tank, 2 gold banded maroon's and 2 false percs. I also plan to add 2 pink skunk clowns when I can find some.
    no agression at all.. they learn their spot in the tank and thats it.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

ijo
    My brotghers tank has a pair of false clowns and a tomatoe (its a 6 foot tank)... as soon as he added a marroon... they kicked the (&@$# out of it... he had to move it down to the sump or it would of died.

IJO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast