phosphate remover

I was wondering what you think is better: Seachem Phosguard or Kent's Phosphate Sponge? I'd like to get one or the other...just wondering which is better. I heard that with Kent's you can bake it and reuse. Just want to know which is better at removing phosphate.
    thanks.
    thien

The Phosguard product is aluminum-based, and will release some aluminum into your tank. There is anecdotal evidence (and probably some real evidence too... I'll dig) which shows that many soft corals have negative reactions to aluminum. the Kent product is advertised to not release aluminum into the water, since it is based on a ceramic media.
    Jason Nugent
    http://malhavoc.homeunix.com/
    ReefCentral Admin

180 gallon Oceanic with Lifereef Sump, 33 gallon with VHO, 20 gallon frag tank with MH

I would say save your money..

The amount of phosphates they accually remove is horrible.. Very slow... your best to switch to RO/DI water and do a couple of smaller water changes.

i use phosguard. (seachem claims it does not release anything into the water and also that baking sponges really doesnt work - but thats seachem talking)
    Albert
    My Photos

I agree with the ro water, it's one of the best ways to go. If you don't have a ro unit I'm sure one of you local fish stores will sell ro water.

stephen
    Stephen

so the claims on the bottle of "down to 0.05 PO is BS? I have about 0.3 and am using RO water now...the waterchanges will eventually get rid of it?

I don't have much algae right now. Is it just a matter of time before I get the dreaded algae bloom? I had some hair algae but I removed it. Hasn't come back. What I do get often is the brown filmy stuff on the glass (diatoms?). What I also just got is mixed in with the filmy stuff is these dark black/brown spots about <=1mm. Any idea what those are? They don't srub out as easy as the filmy stuff and the snails pass over it.
    thanks.
    thien

Just about every tank will go through an algae bloom. Keep in mind that live rock contains a significant amount of phosphate, some of which gets released over time in a marine tank. Give this a read for more info:

http://www.reeferrocks.com/liverock/history.htm

There's not a whole lot you can do about the algae issues with a new tank. Algae is a natural part of a reef. You do your best with water changes, manual removal, and herbivores.

Your brown algae sounds like dinoflagellates. It's not technically "bad" (the zooxanthellae in a coral's tissue is a dinoflagellate) but if you've got nutrient problems, this stuff can make an appearance.
    Jason Nugent
    http://malhavoc.homeunix.com/
    ReefCentral Admin

180 gallon Oceanic with Lifereef Sump, 33 gallon with VHO, 20 gallon frag tank with MH