Mis-taken identity

I recently purchased a new Coral with out researching it, actually thought it was something else. When got home and placed it in my tank I realized it was a Goniopora or flower pot coral. According to all the sites that I have visited this is a VERY difficult coral to maintain. I have been working very hard to provide all that it needs and 2-months down the road, all is ok. I have been adding rodifers and "Zooplex" by Kent Marine every other day. Does anyone else have one of these? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i dont know about a very hard coral to keep... ive seen some do very well in dirty tanks.. by dirty i mean like, low tech, no water change type of tank...

i guess the term would be high nutrient? they look really good when doing well though. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Blakes View Post
    I recently purchased a new Coral with out researching it, actually thought it was something else. When got home and placed it in my tank I realized it was a Goniopora or flower pot coral. According to all the sites that I have visited this is a VERY difficult coral to maintain. I have been working very hard to provide all that it needs and 2-months down the road, all is ok. I have been adding rodifers and "Zooplex" by Kent Marine every other day. Does anyone else have one of these? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    You can try Reef Roids, it's designed with goniopora in mind and mine seems to be doing very well with it. I haven't had mine all that long but it's doing extremely well. It was in good shape when I got it but it's even better now. I think the belief that these corals are very hard to keep is based on outdated information, as is so often the case in this hobby. Mine seems to be pretty particular about lighting and flow, it likes medium light and medium flow. They're also very easily damaged, so make sure it's not in a place where it could fall, or something could fall on it.

As for the notion that they do well in "dirty" or "nutrient rich" water, I think this is quite likely, probably because it's more likely that the coral is going to find food that it can/will eat. I believe with an appropriate food they'd very likely do just as well in normal water conditions, mine seems to be doing just fine.

You might want to check out http://www.goniopora.org/ as well.

I have ahd a large goni in my care now for over 8 years. It has never been target fed ever. It will occasionally close up for about a week, maybe once a year. Always recovers and usually goes through a growth spurt afterwards. Success with these corals is measured in years and not months. Good luck.
    Jason