Thread: Clown got stung

Clown got stung

OK I have a problem, the large perc clown ive had for years all of a sudden has been stung by the carpet it has been with for several months.

I have a pair of clowns that on occaision spawn (never tried to hatch the eggs) and theyve been hosting in this same anemone for a few months. This morning the lights come on and the larger clown is covered with stings from the anemone, its quite severe, do I need to worry about losing the clown or will it recover? Also, is this normal for a clown to all of a sudden get stung by its host?

Ill see if i can get some pics...
    120 gal reef-90 gal sump/refuge
    120 gal planted tropical
    120 gal planted catfish/arrowana tank

Here's some pics

Sorry for the crappy color, i desperatly need a new camera...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clown got stung-fish-001a.jpg   Clown got stung-fish-002a.jpg   Clown got stung-fish-003a.jpg   Clown got stung-fish-006a.jpg  
    120 gal planted tropical

Your post influenced me to do some research on that subject, because the next coral I wanted was a carpet for my feather duster hosting clowns lol

It appears that they do sting their hosts from time to time and the Clown SHOULD recover fine, and during the process will be less likely to be stung a second time due to a resistance it might have built by being stung.

It could also have been because the anemone was hungry, or many different factors. Let me know how you're fish is doing - I REALLY hope the fish does okay. He looks horrible in the picture with all the sting marks
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better -Albert Einstein

liv
    wow, that is severe ! never seen clowns covered like that.
    Do you feed your carpet anemone ? it looks fairly thin.
    Make sure you have enough lighting as it will starve & wont be happy, carpets need alots of light.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

I dont feed it often, feedings are very small in this tank due to my crappy skimmer, however lighting is quite strong, 2x 250W MH, 2 T-5 daylight, 2 VHO actinic.

Also the anemone ate an unlucky urchin that fell into it a couple days ago. I woke up to find a pile of spines and an empty shell beside the carpet.
    120 gal planted tropical

liv
    LOL, sorry.. wow..
    Try giving it a piece of uncooked raw shrimp once in a while, will help with its appetite.
    your lighting seems great!

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Be careful! The Carpet WILL eat clowns. The fact that your clown survived is probably because she's well established and healthy. It's your choice but you're gambling on the clown's life.
    B

The clown seems fine today, no sign of being stung and back in the anemone. Seems that fish will never die... even though i sometimes wish it would, its mean, has brought blood to the tender spot between my figers before. I may have to get rid of the carpet anyway, its started wandering. Had to move it once already, afraid of losing other corals if it moves to the wrong spot. Damn thing was happy for months in one spot, now it decides to move :/
    120 gal planted tropical