Are those tiny starfish doing any harm? YES!

A nasty discovery:

I could never find anything conclusive on whether the small starfish you find in your tank do any harm. Well apparently they love snacking on Zoos. There are 3 of them munching on my zoos in the pics below. I pulled them off for a closer look...

B
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are those tiny starfish doing any harm?  YES!-tank-may-26-tank-parts-starfish-2008-022.jpg   Are those tiny starfish doing any harm?  YES!-tank-may-26-tank-parts-starfish-2008-027.jpg   Are those tiny starfish doing any harm?  YES!-tank-may-26-tank-parts-starfish-2008-028.jpg   Are those tiny starfish doing any harm?  YES!-tank-may-26-tank-parts-starfish-2008-036.jpg  

those are asternia snails... some are ok and others not...

Yep. Asternia stars they are. Species unknown. Location? Who knows... I have LR from all over the world in my tank. If you can't tell the difference then I say remove em if you see em.

ijo
    I've never had any problems with these... do they have a red dot on the top center of their body? I'vea heard these could cause problems but the full white version are ok.

IJO

Thanks Ivan. Of the 8 I have pulled out of my tank I've had a mix. With red dot, completely white, mottled red, white & grey.

I'm in favour of leaving my tank alone unless there is a proven pest. Having watched these guys feast (as in cover the zoo completely and then move away ... no more zoo) that's enough conclusive evidence for me. I conclude it's a pest. There may be non-pest varieties but why take the chance?

B

ijo
    Very true... they are very hard to get rid off. Their legs break off very easily and these bits and pieces turn into full stars rather quickly. I would look into getting a harlequin shrimp to help get things cleaned up good.(I'm pretty sure they only eat stars... you might need to look into how your going to feed this very cool loking shrimp long term)

I've attached a pic below

IJO
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are those tiny starfish doing any harm?  YES!-harlequinnshrimp.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by IJO View Post
    Very true... they are very hard to get rid off. Their legs break off very easily and these bits and pieces turn into full stars rather quickly. I would look into getting a harlequin shrimp to help get things cleaned up good.(I'm pretty sure they only eat stars... you might need to look into how your going to feed this very cool loking shrimp long term)

I've attached a pic below

IJO
    Extremely tough to get rid of... i've been trying with little luck they just spread, i siphon them out and have seen my sixline pick at them here and there. As for the harlequin you need a blue linkia for them to feed on i believe... I'm not sure if they eat different types of starfish at all...

If anyone has some eradication methods for the asternia i'm all ears

ijo
    I've read harlequin shrimp eat them... the problem is keeping them alive once the stars are gone.

IJO

Harlequin shrimp eat stars but I've only heard of them eating linckia. A good dose of flatworm exit is rumoured to toast the asternia as well although I'm not willing to dose my system to test this. These are annoying and I'll continue to manually remove them but they aren't exactly speed eaters. So they are now part of my ecosystem.

The harlequins are interesting critters but a regular diet of linckia seems a bit expensive.

I've found them to be fairly sturdy. I pick them out by hand but haven't lost a leg (yet ;-)

B