Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

the worst part of getting new carpet is moving the furniture

i went by wicked frags and grabbed a blue carpet last night, ended up staying quite a while ( had a great time thanks again dave ) and had to work this morning so i acclimated him last night but just got him in the tank a few hours ago. i wanted to be here to watch and make sure everyone plays nice. he is ~8" in diameter and hasn't moved since he went in. after about an hour he started to let go, so i decided to turn on the lights and he re-attached and opened right up. i had to do some de / re-aquascaping and am going to be working at if for a while to get everything back just right.

my clowns obviously haven't even noticed him yet :dft004:, or at least haven't ventured over for a look but everyone else has stopped by to say hello.

i took a few pics and thought i would post them quickly and go back to see what i can do to get the rock back looking somewhat normal. the colour is off because i am using a book to block the glare back off the water but i'll work on getting some better ones later.

`

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

It's beautiful,but aren't you worried about it stinging your corals?
    100G Reef
    Purple,Blue,Yellow and Sailfin Tangs.Damsel,Clown and Coral Beauty,Fosters Hawkfish.
    Many mixed corals and clams.
    65G fuge in basement.
    Mag 24 return,RODI,2 Phosban reactors and UV.
    620w in DT.

Quote Originally Posted by steve w. View Post
    It's beautiful,but aren't you worried about it stinging your corals?
    what me worry???? :b13:

that's why i have to re-aquascape every inch of the tank. i went out for dinner last night and it was dark when i got home, he has stayed put but was folded in half when i walked in the door. a few minutes later he was open and normal again, so i'm try to do a fish count in the dark :b9:

i fed some mysis to the tank before i left and he definitely caught some, so he's still sticky, i think i'll try giving him some silverside or krill later today when he wakes up :b16:
    `

My Gallery

a private moment......

caught him in the bathroom this morning, i gotta learn how to take better pics.

`

My Gallery

feeding time :b2:

i circled the two pieces of silverside.

taking them to the mouth

stuffing his face, reminds me of cookie monster

all gone

`

My Gallery

Was good meeting you, and yes was a good night. My how the time can fly when having a couple pops and talking about this hobby!

Carpet looks good, and nice pictures also.

Dave

ijo
    Your a luck man a4twenty!!! not everyone can host a carpet(let alone a blue one!!!) Keep us updated

IJO

liv
    a real beauty you got there!
    stunning colors and long extensions..A+

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Great looking carpet, best of luck with it.

If I might make a tiny, tiny suggestion: unlike haddoni's, gigantea's are not real big on eating fish - they are more planktivores. If you have any doubts to what I say, throw some cyclops-eeze in the tank and watch the carpet react. The best food you can feed it is mysis - the particle size is about right and the composition is about right.

In particular, I would actually avoid feeding silversides. The reason I say this is that there are accounts (mostly folks on RC) who have lost their anemones to bacterial infections that they felt was brought on by eating a bad silverside. I've heard it on a few occasions, it's enough to make me think it's a real risk. I have two gigantea myself, one for 4 years and one for 3, and I don't feed them silversides - almost exclusively mysis, although they more or less eat whatever I feed the fish - flakes, pellets, cyclops-eeze, spirulina, etc. - all smallish sized pieces.

Best of luck with the carpet!!
    -Tony

My next hobby will be flooding my basement while repeatedly banging my head against a brick wall and tearing up $100 bills. Whee!

Quote Originally Posted by 220G View Post
    Carpet looks good, and nice pictures also.
    thanks, i'm working on the photo skills but it's pretty limited with an old 2.1 MP camera.

Quote Originally Posted by IJO View Post
    Your a luck man a4twenty!!! not everyone can host a carpet(let alone a blue one!!!) Keep us updated
    from what i've been reading i'm not out of the woods yet. most say it can take a couple of weeks for full acclimation, makes me happy the clowns are ignoring him so far.

Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    a real beauty you got there!
    stunning colors and long extensions..A+
    thanks, still keeping my fingers crossed. every time i walk by the tank and he's moved a bit or folded in on one side i start to worry but i've had enough other nems to know they can look like hell on minute and perfectly fine the next.

Quote Originally Posted by delphinus View Post
    Great looking carpet, best of luck with it.......... If I might make a tiny, tiny suggestion
    thank you and please make as many suggestions you can, i am always grateful for the help. and really want this guy to be happy :b16:

i knew they preferred smaller sized food but was unaware of the connection between the recent bacterial problems posted on RC and the silversides. thank you for the info, i'll keep feeding with mysis until i can get some more krill at the LFS and i'll try some cyclop-eeze right now.

i fed a little mysis earlier to day, i'm not sure how much to feed. i don't want to over feed but i also don't want to under feed after his long trip. people say they are very hard to get acclimated and i'm trying to be as careful as possible. i think i have given him enough flow and strong light now i just need to be patient.

here's a quick pic of an amphipod that didn't have a chance, this may explain why he is folding in from time to time.

`

My Gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast