Something harmful in my sand?

I have had alot of issues with putting coral directly on the sand bed. My red brain started to show skeleton so I moved it off teh sand and put it on a rock and now its fine. My colt would constantly be pulled in so I moved it and put it on a rock and now it's fine...now my long LTA which was holding on to the bottom of the tank decided he was not happy there so he moved in the middle of the night and got stuck to a powerhead....he's not fine and probably wont pull through. I'm thinking that there is something in my sandbed that is causing all this harm but I can't see anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

I tried to keep the LTA off the sand but he didn't want to stick to a rock

what type of lighting do you have? whats the flow like where your putting the corals?

Quote Originally Posted by wend121 View Post
    I tried to keep the LTA off the sand but he didn't want to stick to a rock

LTA's prefer sand

have you tried looking at night for any unwanted pests?
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post
    LTA's prefer sand

have you tried looking at night for any unwanted pests?
    I remember when a4twenty told me about what was causing my clowns to get sick (black spots) it was a parasite that lived in the sand. During that time, my brain coral also started to show his skeleton in the sand until I moved him higher up on the rocks.
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better -Albert Einstein

Smile

I cannot see it being the sand, its either IMO 1 of 2 things.
    #1. weak lighting
    #2. overall tank water parameters. sometimes corals will respond just becaused you moved them only to die later on. what and how old are/is the lighting?? even if your sand bed was a nutrient mess it really woudn't bother the corals/anenomes but the water condition would.

I have 3 1200 power heads in my 75 gallon.

My lights are power compact which were just changed about 9 months ago.

I donít think it would have to do with flow or lights since itís been the same type of lighting and flow for 5 or 6 years now. Also the brain was only put on a rock that is about an inch off the sand, so itís really not that much higher or closer to the light and within a week it was already starting to heal.

If there is parasites living in my sand, is there something I can but to help get rid of them?

[QUOTE=john rock;144969]I cannot see it being the sand, its either IMO 1 of 2 things.
    #2. overall tank water parameters. sometimes corals will respond just becaused you moved them only to die later on.

But they are not dying off later...only the anenome did because he got stuck to the powerhead

I don't know of any parasites that live in the sand that will attack a few different corals plus an LTA.
    Is your sand very coarse?
    is the affected corals/LTA in the direct path of flow from a powerhead?
    how established was the LTA?? did he just up and move but was happy before on the sand?[how long]

Quote Originally Posted by wend121 View Post
    I have 3 1200 power heads in my 75 gallon.

My lights are power compact which were just changed about 9 months ago.

I donít think it would have to do with flow or lights since itís been the same type of lighting and flow for 5 or 6 years now. Also the brain was only put on a rock that is about an inch off the sand, so itís really not that much higher or closer to the light and within a week it was already starting to heal.

If there is parasites living in my sand, is there something I can but to help get rid of them?
    IMO PC's would have a hard time penetrating that far down onto your sandbed... As well for flow thats only about 900GPH or so... i would tend to think thats a bit low and not bringing the corals enough food (fish waste/food etc.)... I agree with John Rock though, probably not a parasite on the sand and more to do with other factors.