Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what's everyone keeping in their refugium??

for the first time in years i have detectable nitrates ( 5ppm ) and i am looking to make some changes.

in my 18" x 18" refugium i have 40# seaflor grade reef sand ( ~3" ), 30# LR and a ball of chaeto. i was looking at it last night and am thinking about removing the sand because i am sure it is just a detritus trap. there is good flow across the top of the refugium but it would be quite easy for any detritus to settle down between the rock and pollute the bottom. i can't put a powerhead in to stir it up without stirring up the sand as well, so ......

what do you guys have in your refugiums??
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

For a couple of years I had a Picasso trigger in my fuge until he died this spring.

Havening a fish keeps things stirred up.

I would recommend not taking out the sand.People go to extremes in order to have extra sand with a remote sand bed.
    100G Reef
    Purple,Blue,Yellow and Sailfin Tangs.Damsel,Clown and Coral Beauty,Fosters Hawkfish.
    Many mixed corals and clams.
    65G fuge in basement.
    Mag 24 return,RODI,2 Phosban reactors and UV.
    620w in DT.

there is no room to add a fish, the fuge is full of LR. maybe this is just an excuse to build a new bigger refugium :b15:

Quote Originally Posted by steve w. View Post
    I would recommend not taking out the sand.People go to extremes in order to have extra sand with a remote sand bed.
    i am one of them :b2:, i have a RDSB with 60# oolitic sand that i am thinking is in need of replacing ( 2+ years old ). i am wondering if this is maybe part of the nitrate problem too. i have another 120# of seaflor grade reef sand ( ~ 1.25" ) in my display as well.

so at present i have 160# of seaflor grade reef sand and 60# of oolitic sugar fine sand.

the reason i am 'blaming' the sand in the fuge is that it is not deep enough to be a DSB and to deep to be a SSB, so what exactly is it ? ? ?? ??
    `

My Gallery

liv
    my refugium is my sump. I have about 250#+ of LR in it, I keep a variety of shrooms, and zoos as well as ~200 mangroves and a 2 baffles loaded with cheato. I also have crabs and snails of all kinds.. as well as any undesirable wildlife that i think still has benefit in the sump.. like evil crabs etc.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

ijo
    lol... you have more in your sump/refuge than most of us have in their main setups.

IJO

If you have a shity skimmer then sand is a good thing, it helps trap the crap. Then syphon it out once in a while...

I dont see myself going for sand in my next sump.

Getting a stronger light for your cheato will help it grow faster and suck up more nitrates.

In my next set up(which will come at some point this summer) I plan to try a natural sunlight fuge, should realy suck up that fish poop
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

maybe i'll give it a good syphon but i think i need to move the LR out to be able to keep it clean over time. if i remember correctly you also like a Bare Bottom too?? do you usually have any sand in those systems??

what i was thinking was remove the LR & sand, clean the sump well. put in a couple of 1" pieces of 1" PVC pipe then a piece of egg crate, LR and a power head blowing straight down and the chaeto just back up on top with all the flow.

or....

add a LR well under the sump / fuge. currently in the system there is ~ 120# in the tank, 30# in the fuge, 20# in the sump and realistically i would like to take some more out of the DT. it all about the wide open space for me. :b7: then use the fuge for for chaeto and critters like its supposed to be.

also i'm thinking it time to replace and redesign my RDSB and possibly incorporate ( not actually together, so i can remove if necessary ) it with the LR well, nice clean water and keep the light out how can you go wrong. :b10: there is no doubt in my mind of the incredible power of a DSB and i think i will always have one as part of my system, just never in a display.

for now, i'm doubling up the water changes, 10G twice a week. i picked up a couple of pails of salt, i was not happy with IO and i don't know why everyone online endorses it. doesn't mix well, leaves a deposit on everything and has dismal numbers. trying ATI Coral Ocean, it's German, pharmaceutical grade and has tested well so far..... plus the price is OK :b16:
    `

My Gallery

well it took me 6+ months but i went with option 'a' and redid my RDSB a couple months ago. i found this big ball of a sponge in the fuge, he was the same diameter as a loony and quite heavy. it shows how filthy the water was after removing the sandbed and LR too.

and this is what the fuge looks like now....

i cleaned it as best i could but couldn't get all the coralline off, i'm sure the rest will die, then start to regrow. i originally wanted to put the 1 1/2" PVC on its side so no detritus would settle into it but the egg crate kept rolling around so i left them on their end. currently there is one MJ1200 pointing straight down to stop anything from settling on the bottom, i may add another later but it seems to be working ok so far ( needs some tweaking ). trimmed and ditched my excess chaeto ( don't worry jun 18T, the little ball on the right is for you if needed :b15: )

just seeing the filthy water tells me i did the right thing, it was just too hard to get down there and clean up with the LR and chaeto the way i had it set up before and i was terrified of disturbing the sand anyway.
    `

My Gallery

powder18

does anybody knows this miracle mud or carebic sea mud? here's the link to see how its really work in your system. old method to keep your system healthy anyway check this out guys.:b2::b15::b16:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF_QporOTvo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99EocQ1nQRA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaE_cn1FA1M

Quote Originally Posted by Powder18 View Post
    does anybody knows this miracle mud or carebic sea mud? here's the link to see how its really work in your system. old method to keep your system healthy anyway check this out guys.:b2::b15::b16:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF_QporOTvo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99EocQ1nQRA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaE_cn1FA1M
    Wow. Increadible, they say that miracle mud removes nitrates.

Now Im thinking of conecting my tank to my septic system, surely things will look great lol
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast