Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Flame Scallop

So I had friday off......and accidentally wandered into FishTales in Orleans...
    I was magically drawn into the store.... You all know how that works ...rite?

I saw and bought the most stunning Flame Scallop!!! Man was i every psyched!!
    We get home and clear him a beautiful spot in the front of the tank so we could awww over him ! I wake up 2 days later to find him missing (hiding at the back of the tank) So sad to say but i guess he dosen't like being aww'ed.
    Either way hes just sooo vibrant and stunning that he still make a beutifull addition to our little bit of reef! Now we just have to bend our necks into bizzar positions to admire him ! LOL

Any one else have one? How do you like it? Any hidden peices of advice?

Signed
    The Wife
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better -Albert Einstein

While I don't have one...yet, I have considered getting one. The biggest problem to me getting one though is the feeding they require and the fact that scallops do not like light of any kind (they produce that electric light across their mantle to attract prey in the dark). I was considering trying to affix one to a piece of rubble but it sounds kind of a harsh thing to do to a mobile creature. If you can get your camera around the back of the tank I'd love to see a pic.
    That's it for now, keep reef'n

My Tank

Where is FishTales in Orleans?
    180G - Reef
    29G - Goldfish

180G - Reef
    29G - Goldfish

i hate being the one to say this every time but ....

these guys do not do well even in the largest mature systems. they are non photosynthetic and need to filter feed all day and night to be successful.

i hope you prove me wrong but this is one species i think is best left in the ocean.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post
    i hate being the one to say this every time but ....

these guys do not do well even in the largest mature systems. they are non photosynthetic and need to filter feed all day and night to be successful.

i hope you prove me wrong but this is one species i think is best left in the ocean.
    I completely agree with you, they are quite the poor choice but never the less they have so much "impulse appeal" to the unwary. I saw plenty of them turn into cleaner shrimp food while working at BA's.
    That's it for now, keep reef'n

My Tank

Quote Originally Posted by RaceFaceR1 View Post
    Fish Tails is in Orleans on St Joseph across the street from pizza hut and near the old stereo plus witch is now a game store.

I like the scalop nice choice it will look good in your tank.

Quote Originally Posted by RaceFaceR1 View Post
    It's on St.Joseph near the Pizza Hut and TD Bank. It'll be across the street next to a tattoo parlor, It's very cheap there and I've been a happy customer ever since I found the place.
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by reefgeek110 View Post
    I completely agree with you, they are quite the poor choice but never the less they have so much "impulse appeal" to the unwary. I saw plenty of them turn into cleaner shrimp food while working at BA's.
    He seemed to of found a nice dark corner to stay in, and we feed him at night using liquid microplankton

Hopefully we do prove you wrong!! lol

Here are some pics

This is where it stuck itself between the rocks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast