Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tang Food

Tang Food

OK, so I need some opinions. I've have had an Eilbi Mimic Tang now for about a month. She is the only tang, and for that matter the only large fish (about 4 inches long) in a 120g. She should be the most dominant fish in the tank and pretty much she is, so she shouldn't be facing competition for food.

My problem, is that she isn't eating well enough for my liking and is getting skinny. I have a veggy clip and have tried nori, and lettuce, but have not seen her touch either. She picks at the rocks constantly, but doesn't seem to touch what I feed the rest of the tank (cyclop eeze, mulched seafood, bloodworms, mysis shrip, brine shrimp etc.)

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure how your tang likes it's food but my clown, yellow, sailfin, and kole tangs love the formula two flake by ocean nutrition. The flake is specifically made for herbivourous fish and has garlic added to it to help entice a feeding response. Seems to work for me. Also it could be that the type of nori that you are offering is not what the Eibli prefers as I have noticed that in my tangs certain preferences occur in different tangs as to which type of nori they will accept. Have any macro algaes on hand? You may want to try a small piece if you do just to make sure shes getting something. Another thought would be to try soaking the nori you have in garlic extract to help entice her. It's funny though that your tang doesn't accept any of the foods you listed. The Eibli is a beauty though, hope someone here can help more than I.
    That's it for now, keep reef'n

My Tank

great advice, garlic enhance the flavour and smell. my purple goes nuts when the garlic soaked mysis goes in the tank. he also will only go for the green nori ( Julian Sprung's Sea Veggie ), i have tried the purple and red and he just ignores it. i can barley get the clip back in the tank before he is hitting the green though.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

My tang loves the roasted nori you can get at loblaws in the asian food section. It can also be found at IGA in a similar looking package.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

liv
    many tangs love the mysis and mysids as well.
    like the guys are saying.. press some garlic and soak your food with the garlic juice. try brocoli. as for the nori.. cut it into strings that are 1/4" wide by about 2" long and attach those to your food clip. also.. try dropping pieces of 1/4"x1/4" of nori in the water and make sure they do not float at the top.

as for the nori, you should try and get dried nori, free of oil and not baked as it retains more nutritional values. a few stores may have tang weed and you could try planting it in your setup or in your sump and give some daily.

my tangs pick at my lr all the time keeping it free of algea... but they are still always hungry for more food.. I used to feed 3 a day and they became lazy and wouldn't clean the tank anymore.. so I now only feed once a day and the rest of the time they harvest / scavenge what they can from the tank.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

I've just started soaking Nori in pressed garlic juice, and I'm wondering if there is any nutritional value added, or is it just to enhance flavour and increase the feeding response?

Thanks,

Gord.

Thanks for all the replies. The primary stuff I feed the tank is a mixture of seafood mulch, bloodworms, cyclop eeze and it is all soaked in garlic, blended up and put into icecube trays.

The nori I have tried is the stuff that comes from the sushi counter at Loblaws, but I have not tried soaking it in garlic.

I'll give the Forumla 2 flake a try.

I also have lots of cheato in my sump that I could try as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zookeeper View Post
    I also have lots of cheato in my sump that I could try as well.
    I should have mentioned that I've only been able to convince one of my tangs to eat cheato (the sailfin slurps it down like wet spaghetti), the others however completely ignore it. It is worth a try though in your case, good luck.
    That's it for now, keep reef'n

My Tank

liv
    the garlic serves many purposes.. its an all around good supplement for fish as it boosts the immune system, gets rid of parasites on and in the body and add flavor.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    the garlic serves many purposes.. its an all around good supplement for fish as it boosts the immune system, gets rid of parasites on and in the body and add flavor.
    And when you add it to your homemade seafood mulch the aroma is enough to bring bile into your throat :b7:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast