What temperature do you run your Reef tank at?

Just curious as to the average water temperature most people are maintaining their reef tanks at. Reef tank temperature will obviously vary pending on what type of coral/fish you are housing. For your average reef tank I was always told that 78-80 degrees was the norm but after reading an old (2003) article in Marine Fish & Reef magazine they have stated that the range should be 73-76 degrees. I have always maintained my tanks at 78 degrees and now have been thinking of lowering it to 75 degrees. What are your preferred temperature settings?

i think the usual is 78F - 82F, most reef tanks house inverts that live in shallow water so we keep the temp up a bit.

my tank is between 79F - 80F in the winter and 80F - 81F in the summer, i think the difference is caused by the difference in the thermostat setting from season to season.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

temp

I have managed to keep my reef at 78/80 during the day.
    thanks to 2 small fans running most of the day!.....
    keeping it at 75 as you have mentioned seem a bit too cool for some fish!!!
    keep in mind real reefs are sometimes up to 85f during the day.......
    specially in the caribean.
    cheers

ijo
    I'm running the wall tank at a steady 80... day or night.

IJO

I think what is more important then the actual temp is the consistency of the temp. A swing of 1-2 degrees between day/night is okay but more will cause problems. For example if during the night the tank could drop to say 75 but during a summer day it climbs to 82 it is better to use heaters to keep the tank temp at 82 day and night.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Quote Originally Posted by Blakes View Post
    Just curious as to the average water temperature most people are maintaining their reef tanks at. Reef tank temperature will obviously vary pending on what type of coral/fish you are housing. For your average reef tank I was always told that 78-80 degrees was the norm but after reading an old (2003) article in Marine Fish & Reef magazine they have stated that the range should be 73-76 degrees. I have always maintained my tanks at 78 degrees and now have been thinking of lowering it to 75 degrees. What are your preferred temperature settings?
    Room temperature. Since here in cayman, the water is warm. On the east side it's like 80's on some days. And the fish are fine.

My house is usually about 80 to 78 (depending on how hot the day is) cause my air conditioner won't cool more than that. Built in air, needs more freon 8)
    90 gal tank
    200 gal power fussion skimmer

1 firefish, 1 wrasse, 1 juvi yellow tang, 1 watchman gobi
    70 pounds free Live sand,200 pounds free Live rock
    1 power heads,

2frosty4u
    I keep my tank at 80 degrees. I use a controller that keeps the tank constant within 0.3 degrees. My sump is in the basement which helps with cooling in the summer along with fans turned on and off by the controller.

Our tank varies from 78-81 at all times. We have to heaters, and a medium sized fan helping to dissipate the heat from the MH. When we upgraded we moved the tank from the living room to the kitchen where the AC is on Full most of the time - otherwise the tank would reach temps of 90+
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better -Albert Einstein

liv
    I keep mine at 25.5C ( 77.9f ) to 26.0C ( 78.8f )

I used to keep the water at 23.5C ( 74.3f ) to 24.5 ( 76.1f ) for just about a year.. without much ill effect. I did notice my clams didn't open as much & slower growth of sps corals.. fishies didn't seem to mind it at all. Most places i've dived in were also quite cold ( at 40-50feet deep ) so i think most fishies we keep in our tanks can handle quite a large range in temp. ( just no drastic jumps )

I am lucky in some way in that I never had a heat issue.. its the opposite.. I run 4 heaters in the summer to try and keep things steady..lol. I guess the reason for this is the tank is in the basement and my sump is sitting on the concrete floor.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    I guess the reason for this is the tank is in the basement and my sump is sitting on the concrete floor.
    i am sure my basement sump helps in the summer but probably gets me back in heating through the winter.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery