What suggestions for additional reef safe fish

Presently cycling my larger 160 gallon tank (6' long) which should be ready in 2-3 weeks time. Once completed I will be moving all of my existing fish/coral over (slowly) from my 60 gallon tank. Here is my present list of fish/coral:

Fish:
    • Two common Clownfish (paired)
    • Strawberry Basslet
    • Sebae Clown (will be adding one more from another tank)
    • Hippo Tang (Regal Tang)
    • Green Brittle Star
    Coral:
    • Mushroom coral (two kinds)
    • Polyps
    • Green Star
    • Umbrella Leather
    • Brain Coral
    • Hammer Coral (frag)

• Bubble Anemone
    • Long Tentacle Anemone (hosted by Sebae Clown)

I would like to add the following:

• Fungia Coral
    • Christmas Tree Coral
    • Pumping Xenia
    • 1 or 2 more Lobo Brain Corals
    • Candy Cane Coral
    • Colt Coral

• Naso Tang (Lip stick)
    • 1-2 Cleaner Shrimp
    • Obviously more snails/hermits

My main concern is this tank large enough for the Lip Stick Tang. These additional items will be added slowly over a large period of time.

with a 6' 160G i think you could house a Naso, lip tick (Naso lituratus) but not by much. i would also keep and eye on the green brittle star, they are usually referred to as the "green death" because as they grow larger they can take down a fish / inverst for a quick snack.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

If you want reef safe fish I would look at the Fairy Wrasses. They are reef safe, colorfull, don't grow too big, and you can have several different fairy wrasses together without agression.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Instead of putting one naso tang that may get up to 17 inches and knock your rockwork over, I would focus on putting several different tangs in that stay relatively small such as the yellow, kole, convict, purple, powder blue or brown (but not both), ect that way you get more bang for your buck. I should say though that I have not done this myself as I have both a sailfin tang and clown tang in a 110 which they will outgrow eventually. If you do get a lipstick naso get a juvenille, that way you can watch it grow and be much more able to tell if it runs out of room as it grows.

As for the green brittle star, I would get rid of it altogether, they are predatory by nature and will eventually start causing problems.
    That's it for now, keep reef'n

My Tank

I will research the additional Tangs instead of a Naso. I was thinking about giving the brittle star away before the move. I suspect it has been eating some of my snails. I will keep you posted with my choices.

i'm not sure why people ( usually BA's ) keep bringing the green brittles in, they are neat looking but not reef safe. i too would prefer to have a couple smaller tangs rather than one big one but it's your tank and they're an amazing fish :b16:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post
    i'm not sure why people ( usually BA's ) keep bringing the green brittles in, they are neat looking but not reef safe.
    I have a theory on that one, having worked at Big Als, picture yourself as fishroom manager... whats the best way to up fish sales? I know lets bring in predatory brittle stars that everyone will think are reef and fish safe only to take home and have fish dissapear mysteriously.

When you think about it I almost make sense...yikes. lol
    That's it for now, keep reef'n

My Tank

Talking i love the tomini tang

the best tang of them all!!!! as far as i'm concerned lol everyone has there preference but my tomini tang is very active and gets along well with everyone in my tank.

As always, try to come up with a list of fish you would like, and add the least aggressive ones first. In that regard, you may have some difficulties with the Purple Dottyback (Strawberry Basslet).

How about a school of Zebra Dartfish. Put in about 5 and let them get established. Very cool to watch.

Jawfish are also really neat to watch, but don't like alot of action around them, at least not until they have built thier den in the sandbed (BTW you need at least 4 inches of sand for these guys). Go with a Pearly or a Blue spotted.

You could put in one true basslet (your Dottyback isn't really a Basslet). In this family the Royal Gramma, and Blackcap Gramma are the easiest to find. However, if you can find them, the Swissguard and Swale's Basslets are really nice. I have a Swissguard and a pair of Chalk Bass in my 120 and all are easy to keep and not aggressive to others as well. Blue and Yellow Assessors are also really nice but hard to find.

As mentioned above, wrasses from the genus Cirrhilabrus are all pretty peaceful and relatively easy to keep. Wrasses from the genus Macropharyngodon can be difficult to get feeding, and wrasses from the genus Pseudocheilinus can be a bit on the aggressive side. All are reef safe.

Damsels are all reef safe, but are notorious for being territorial. Some of the least aggressive would be any of the Chromis, Talbot's Damsel and Yellowtail Blue Damels. Add these last if you add them at all.

Pretty much anything from the Cardinal fish genus.

Anthias are nice but none are easy to keep. Even the most hardy are rated at "intermediate" level and some are extremely difficult to get to feed. Plan on feeding your tank 4 or 5 times a day if you want Anthias.

There are also lots of choices amongst the Blennie and Gobie families.

You can do most of your research inclucing compatibility here: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/a...plies.cfm?c=15