Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Humidity, Hardwood and the Evils of Large Tanks

So...
    ...Im in the process of buying a new home. And as we all know new home = new tank.

This home, Im happy to say, has beautiful new hardwood floors. And an unfinished basement, which I will be partially finishing before adding my aquarium. Im likely looking at a 180-220 gal system which will be placed on the concrete floor of the basement.

My concern is for the humidity levels of the house. With hardwood floors above the tank and also my 4 guitars around the house its important for me to maintain reasonable humidity levels.

So i was wondering, what are other people in the city doing to control humidty? What solutions have you tired, seen or done or envisioned?

Is this even a concern in Ottawa? Should I forget about it and rest my mind?

All comments are apprecitated, TIA!

cheers,
    Geekreef
    "Mmmm...Skimmate"

Quote Originally Posted by geekreef_05 View Post
    So...
    ...Im in the process of buying a new home. And as we all know new home = new tank.

cheers,
    Geekreef

Couldn't have said it better myself... ha ha...

I have the same Q... and I'm going to add to it if you don't mind too though... does anyone have their tanks on hardwood? Like on top of a carpet or something, does this affect the floor in any way?

I had similar concerns and went with 2 HRV's. One for the house and one for the basement sump room that also exchanged air with the main tank upstairs.
    You probably don't need an HRV for the sump room/main tank canopy as you can get away with a good ventalation fan like they sell at hydroponics stores. I have seen some good systems on RC where the light canopy was designed so you could draw the heat from the lights without the humidity to heat your home in the winter.
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer

reefboy, your ideas are indeed intriguing.
    But whats an HRV? I assume its a dehumidifying device of some kind?

So a better idea is to simply vent out, eh?
    "Mmmm...Skimmate"

Jxb47, thats cool, I was wondering that myself. Obviously its going to depend on the size/weight of tank. Previously Ive heard that anything more than a 75 gallon is a bit much for a mainfloor tank, hardwood or not. I was told to stay below 60 gallons for mainfloor tanks, unless its directly above a supporting structure. Im not sure how good that info is, but it came from a aquarist who's also a home inspector.

As for how much weight can the hardwood take before it bows...i dont know.

But a friend of mine who's got a fresh water tank in his living room, with hardwood floors recently had a HOB filter malfuction, where this $20 filter was spilling water all over the floor. That emptied about 20 gallons of his 75 gallon tank. I think this happened on a weekend when he was away.. and upon his return he said the floor was ruined. It was bent in every which direction...completely unlevel and useless.

So yah, just think twice about putting that puppy on hardwood... its a heavy damage bill if anything goes wrong.
    "Mmmm...Skimmate"

Your floor will be fine, it will be no different than having a hot, humid August day. If your floor is a Factory finished floor, they will have taken normal humidity into account. Your large tank will not exceed a natural humid day. My entire upper floor of my house is hardwood (both factory finished and hand finished) with no problems. The only thing you have to wory about is water spills-->clean them immediatly.

I installed this unit but only use it as an exhaust for the 7-12 gallons of water my system evaps a day... when it was hooked up as am air exchanger it took too long to control humidity. Now within 15 minutes I can clear the room from 90% to 55%.

I agree with Dark, mine started out as an HRV but really works best just to have an exhaust fan.
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer

wow Dark, 90% to 55% is a major swing. thats quite amazing.

I will state that currently on my 110 gal i evaporate around 1-2 gallons a day. I was expecting that to increase to about 5 gallons per day on a 180 wide tank, which has much more surface area to volume.

So at what evaporation rate should I really be considering this device?

And if you dont mind me asking, what kinda cost did that run you/what kinda cost could I expect from adding an exhaust fan? this aint much different from a common stove/hood fan, is it?
    "Mmmm...Skimmate"

Normal exhaust fans/range fans will not work, not enough CFM. If I were to do it all again I would install a WAY better fan that draws fewer amperage.

If you look at this link http://www.canadianwholesalehydropon...ts=1&catpage=2 I would install the VORTEX VTX 600 with a humidistat like this http://www.viconics.com/h200.htm

How much water your system evaps depends on the waters surface area, I have alot of sumps in my system. If your tank is inwall/sump room using one of those Vortex fans will be the best way to go about it. It will run hard and fast for a short period of time which is what you want.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast