Drilling Tank & Sump Idea

So Im in the market now for a 180-220 gal system and I thought that this time around Id like to make my sump the same height as my display. This way Im not pumping water up or letting it fall, but simply moving it through the pipe to a connected tank. Of course I'll be building a custom stand for this project.

My real concern is drilling a couple tanks... and also moving a 6' tank from the store to my home. I dont think a 180 gal 6' tank is gonna fit in my honda civic.

Any solutions to the transpo problem?

And moreso, who and how can I get a couple tanks drilled in ottawa? If someone is doing this as a business or part of their business Id sure like to know about it! And in that case how much can I ask them to do? Maybe I could get someone to attach my bulkheads and stuff too?

I love reefs, but Im not super handy. I can sure do a few simple projects with the old hand saw, but I dont have the equipment, experience, expertise or handyman's skill to pull off anything cool. And so.. Id be willing to pay someone else to help me with the very very simple plumbing of my new tank.

any takers? maybe someone could point me in the right direction?

I move into my new home Sept 12th, and I'll be finishing the basement soon afterwards. Thus this tank is likely to start between Halloween and Christmas time.
    "Mmmm...Skimmate"

If it's just a simple drilling that you require (ie a few holes here or there) just purchase it ready cut from your local fish store. Chances are the cost of getting a third party (glass cutter) to drill the holes will work out to the same price as what ready cut from the manufacturer will cost (or so was my experience), plus ready cut comes with a warranty, third party drilling voids most warranties. As for transport why not rent a pickup truck for the day (cheaper than the shipping charges some stores will charge for delivery).
    Just my thoughts.
    That's it for now, keep reef'n

My Tank

Yah, i was thinking of renting a van. I figure thats where it'll end up. I guess I was asking if any distributers, like Marineland Aquarium, will actually deliever to your door.

Now the problem with pre-drilled tanks is that they would not be drilled in the right places for my use. I could work with it, but it would be a compromise over what would be 'perfection'. And ya know how it is.. whenever you setup a new reef its always perfect that we're after.

Those tanks are drilled with the idea that your sump will be below your display. For my use, i was thinking that I would have two sumps, one located to the left of the display and one to the right. Actually one would be a sump and the other a large DSB. And all three tank would be at the same height. So I would then drill the display on both its left and right side, and then connected it with large PVC pipes on either side to the sump and DSB.

Im thinking this will save me energy, reduce noise/hassle's associated with overflows and allow for a unique look at the same time.
    "Mmmm...Skimmate"

[quote=geekreef_05;145794]
    Now the problem with pre-drilled tanks is that they would not be drilled in the right places for my use. I could work with it, but it would be a compromise over what would be 'perfection'. And ya know how it is.. whenever you setup a new reef its always perfect that we're after.
    quote]

Sorry what I meant was to take your specs into most any fish store and have their suppliers custom drill the tank to your specs so that you can pick it up drilled exactly as you want it and not have to worry about finding someone willing to custom drill it after the fact, this way you still get manufacturer warranties. I know Big Als does this all the time but their prices can be staggering at times, perhaps you can find a lfs that builds tanks on site as well, wish I could point a few out but I'm not from the Ottawa area, I do know of two in my area though. NAFB, and Aquarium Obsessed but again likely too far for you to travel.
    That's it for now, keep reef'n

My Tank

liv
    I have drilled tons of tanks for members.. but its always a scary thing. Specially on huge tanks. I remember drilling some guys 2.5k tank.. everyone in the room wanted to hold their breath.. he he..
    Of course nobody garanties it wont snap.. its all about using judgement and taking your time... setting it up properly.. using plenty of water and being patient.

pm me if u need more details.

reefgeek110 is absolutely right... get it drilled by the manufacturer to your liking if you can for sure.. you keep the warranty

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Awesome info as always, thanks guys.

I actually ended up swinging by Aqua-Valley, which is on the opposite end of the city for me, but I was around on the weekend watching 'The Dark Knight' in IMAX at silvercity... great movie btw.

Anyway, I talked to a guy at Aqua-Valley (I assume the owner) who basically told me they do custom setups. They'll even deliever it and come into your home to drill the tank. I gotta say i was impressed with him. I'll probably walk back into the store in a month and ask for a new custom tank.

I was also impressed with the quality equipment and decent prices they have. I admit I was eye'ing this nice 48" T5 Tek light fixture.

Anyway, on the sump design front, I might just stick with the traditional below tank sump designs. He kinda sold me on the quiet-one pumps ... i didnt know they actually were that quiet. But again... its a big debate in my mind. I like my idea because its super energy efficient, compared to pumping water up and around all the time.
    "Mmmm...Skimmate"