Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advice on next fish

Hi,

Currently in my 75 gallon reef tank I have a 1 Scopus Tang, 2 Occelaris Clown fish, 1 purple Dottyback, 1 Scissortail Goby, and a Mandarin Dragon. I also have a pistol shrimp, cleaner shrimp and sea urchins.

A few of the fish love to hide so I donít see them all the time and am looking for 1 or 2 more fish that will be more out in the open during the day. Maybe another type of tang?

I would prefer something really hardy though.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I wouldn't put another tang in a 75 gallon.

There are lots of different reef-safe wrasses that you could add.

ijo
    Have you thought of a flame angle? Great looking fish that loves to swim around... Also hardy. The only downfall is there a 50% chance it will nip at corals.

IJO

powder18

i currently have a 60 gal, mix of sps & lps. I got 2 tangs one of those is kole also convict tang seems to me its getting along. i have seen in youtube a 75 gal reef tank 3 kind of tangs .you said you got scopas tang why not try blue hippo try those peaceful tangs such as one that i mention blue regal tang or kole they are ok i find its peaceful hope i can help a bit cio!:b15:

Fish

I would reccomend a blenny of some sort. They are some of the most personable fish you can get. They are very entertaining and quite hardy. I have a lawnmower blenny and a red lip blenny, they are definatley the most entertaining fish in my tank. I would be concerned about adding anohter tang, unless its one of the smaller species of tangs.

Quote Originally Posted by IJO View Post
    Have you thought of a flame angle? Great looking fish that loves to swim around... Also hardy. The only downfall is there a 50% chance it will nip at corals.

IJO

I thought about mentioning a Dwarf Angel but declined because of the nipping factor. I have a Coral Beauty in the tank at work and a Pygmy at home and both are model citizens. I've heard others have had success with the Flame, Potters, Cherub and the Flameback, but all of the others are more likely to be nippers. I got my Pygmy from an established tank and he wasn't a nipper. I flipped the coin with the Coral Beauty though.

I have a pair of Chalk Bass. They are out in the water column all the time. The OP could also consider either a Black Cap Basslet or a Royal Gramma.

wow...lots of great responses!!!!

I think I may try the flame angel..my luck though he'll be a nipper....or maybe the kole tang!!!

I thought the general rule with tangs is that they can't be with another tang that looks similar to them....if this is not the case I would love to just get a yellow tang!!!

Can I have a yellow tang or will the 2 tangs probably not get along?

The problem here isn't 2 tangs getting along. It's having 2 tangs in a relatively small tank ie: 75 gallons. Tangs add alot to the bioload and need alot of swimming room. Most experienced folks will tell you that a 75 gallon is the minimum for one Tang.

I'm tellin ya, go with a wrasse. Out in the open all the time cruising the rocks and come in great colours. I have a yellow wrasse in my 55 at work, and a pair or Meleagris Leopards in my 120 at home. Great fish.

If I were you i'd put in a Yellow or a Sixline.

i have to agree, two tang is probably not a good idea in a 75G

i like wrasses but i wouldn't get a sixline, they are great fish but can / will out compete your mandarin for pods. wrasses have great colour and patterns and most are generally well behaved.

i like the lawnmower blenny too, great personality and very active. i always felt mine was watching me just as much as i watched him.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

liv
    agree as well.. there are tons if fish out there that are great and dont need that kind of space.. blennies and gobies, wrasses, cardinals, damsels, jawfishs.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast