Smile Wild Reefs Vs Tanks

well, its been some time since I posted here but after a well deserved vacation in MEXICO I thought I'd post some info on my diving/snorkeling.
    sorry no pics [to busy LOL].
    I swam both in VERACRUZ and in a few places in CANCUN/XEL.HA
    After a few dives and snorkeling I came back with a whole new respect for
    this hobby and the fun it brings.
    I also came back with more conviction on keeping a reef tank/fish tank
    simple and not over crowded. I really can't believe actually how over stocked alot of us keep our tanks with fish and corals.
    the shear size of some of the brains and corals I've seen puts me in awe!
    I can't believe the size of the ATLANTIC BLUE TANGS I swam with in XEL-HA and right outside our hotel beach!! there freaking big.
    the colors were so vivid which I believe has alot to do with there size.
    we tend to also keep a lot of different corals together that would never happen in the ocean so I'm not sure if this might cause some of the issues
    that plague some of us like unexplained bleach etc..
    anyways, if you ever get a chance to dive or even snorkel do it!! it will really truly open your eyes.
    my next trip in the years to come will be the GREAT BARRIER REEF!!

IN CLOSING, I can't wait to get back into reefing this fall !
    less fish, and less corals but with more space for them to really grow.

took this from the other thread.......

Quote Originally Posted by john rock View Post
    I just came back from diving in CANCUN and after seeing ATLANTIC BLUE TANGS in the wild I'm shocked!! they get HUGE!!!! there colors are vivid as hell. for tangs they need space to roam and graze.I'll be keeping 3 or less tangs in my 500g and more smaller fish that don't need to move as much.
    if you seriously look at it though, is a 500G big enough for even one tang?? it is nowhere comparable to their natural habitat of square kilometres..... what i'm getting at is it doesn't matter how we justify it, it is still not fair on the fish.

i have the same train of thought you are coming into. i only have 4 fish in my 120G, (2) false percs ( F=3" M=2 1/2" ), (1) three stripe damsel ( 3" ) and a purple tang ( 5" ) ( which i have received flack for having in a 4' 120G from other sites. ). i try to keep minimal rock in the display, still with nice hiding spots but for the most part wide open. i only have few corals and prefer to keep inverts. when people say oh what a nice 'fish' tank, i quickly correct them, it an invert / reef tank with a few fish thrown in for fun :b6:

that sucks, you didn't have time for some pics but i can't wait for you to start the new tank.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Smile

I guess what I'm trying to say is we do tend to overcrowd our tanks with potential big fish. 3 tangs in a 8 foot tank is better than 3 tangs in a 4 foot tank. the fish seem more relaxed with more space and now I believe the closer they get to there potential size the nicer they look.
    and that goes for corals as well, less competion for space and they can grow
    out,up and when there happy there color shows it.

yeh I can't wait to get back into the hobby. I've been curing DIY rock for what a year now LOL.

shellfish grower

i am an oyster grower and I throw aside marine animals everyday that you guys would probably love in your tanks.from sea urchins sea cucumbers to starfish to eels hermit crabs and little fish prawns etc.. is this interesting to anyone out there,let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by oysterman View Post
    i am an oyster grower and I throw aside marine animals everyday that you guys would probably love in your tanks.from sea urchins sea cucumbers to starfish to eels hermit crabs and little fish prawns etc.. is this interesting to anyone out there,let me know.
    Where are you?

Quote Originally Posted by john rock View Post
    I guess what I'm trying to say is we do tend to overcrowd our tanks with potential big fish. 3 tangs in a 8 foot tank is better than 3 tangs in a 4 foot tank. the fish seem more relaxed with more space and now I believe the closer they get to there potential size the nicer they look.
    and that goes for corals as well, less competion for space and they can grow
    out,up and when there happy there color shows it.

yeh I can't wait to get back into the hobby. I've been curing DIY rock for what a year now LOL.
    I came home a few years ago feeling the same way. I have family living on St.Croix in the US VI and got to do quite a bit of diving while visiting for a few weeks. We sailed to Buck Island Marine Reserve and went for a dive along the fringe reef and inside the lagoon. I have a picture of a school of Tangs swimming under our sailboat and it is impressive to see on that scale.

Another dive I did was under the cruse ship pier at the West end of the Island. I was totaly blown away by the pillars supporting the pier. They are covered top to bottom with stony coral and support all kinds of life.Those trumpet fish are way cool!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wild Reefs Vs Tanks-tang1.jpg   Wild Reefs Vs Tanks-piercorals.jpg