Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tank of Death

Tank of Death

So, I just went to BA in oakvile to check the place out. I have read on this forum that if you go, you have to see the "Tank of death". I saw it. It's big. Why is it called that?

Dan.

there was a huge mistake by one of the managers, they lost everything in the tank but that was a long time ago. while that tank and the tunnel tanks are quite impressive, you should take the time to go across the road and check out the ORG. they don't have the massive displays but loads of healthy livestock and honest advice.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Thanks for the reply!
    After almost 100 people read my post at that!

To be honest with everyone here... I am freshwater guy. BUT... I got the go ahead to buy another aquarium. My wife saw a SW Biocube and thought it would look sharp in our living room. Next thing you know, I am reading and reading and researching and reading about SW.....its a wonder I still have a job.

I live in Hamilton so I usually frequent the BA on Centennial. I found the one in Oakville is impressive. I did notice a lot of dead stock floating around in the tanks getting picked at by the other fish. I even saw a 6" blue tang? belly up in the live rock tank.

Anyways, as for now I am sitting on the fence....I know that starting a SW tank from scratch is more expensive than FW. We are expecting a baby in the future as well, so the cost is a concern. I have to watch it... I am one of those people who becomes obsessed with their hobbies.

Dan

i was the one who made the 'tank of death' comment, so i guess most of the others that viewed the thread probably didn't know why i called it that.

its true, SW is more expensive and i would also say way more addictive than FW. to be honest though it is way more rewarding, colourful and interesting. if money is a bit tight right now, keep doing research and ask a lot of questions, just do it here and not at BA's. i too have been into FW for a very long time and just recently shut down my 120 FW planted, to make room for another salty tank :b7: and used to frequent BA's a lot. they have a completely different view on SW, that just simply doesn't work to well and gets very expensive. ( great if your selling stuff but now so good if you're on a budget )
    `

My Gallery

Personally I find the smaller stores much more knowledgable than the big chain stores, I'm not knocking them they have their place to, but I would much rather go to a small locally run shop in the Kingston area theirs Finaddicts which is awsome theirs also Scotty's witch isn't to bad the chain stores in this area are typicall really young staff who don't care about what they do, to be honest it isn't really their fault anyway it's the owners of these places everyone needs a job you apply for it and you either get hired or you don't if your bad at your job you get fired, thats how it is but in the pet chain store industry thats not how it is if you don't know any thing you'll get hired if you have a clue about what your doing you won't get hired becuase you'll start to question things and no one wants that now do they. This all started in the mid 90s in my oppinion with the huge chain store explosion and all. I appolligize if I offended anyone that wasn't my attention but over the weekend I went in to a chain store in this area with some one who used to work their for 10 years untill a new owner took over and they bassically all got the boot, the look on his face when we went in said it all he was almost in tears to see how bad it had become and when we left he was bassically in tears. Sorry for the rant and I do appoligize if it offended any one but after seeing what it did to my freind who cared so much about that place at one point I had to vent, again my appologies.

Quote Originally Posted by huizer View Post
    So, I just went to BA in oakvile to check the place out. I have read on this forum that if you go, you have to see the "Tank of death". I saw it. It's big. Why is it called that?

Dan.
    Just to add to the whole 'tank of death' title I might nominate BAs in Vaughn/Woodbridge, boasting a fair sized shark tank that became a tank of death when an employee left a freshwater top up valve open for the day. They lost both their black tipped sharks and the rest of the stock due to the massive salinity change. Not to mention the nurse shark that died in a shipping delay. Trust me when I say this happened, I was there.
    That's it for now, keep reef'n

My Tank

I trust you.
    I also took A4Twenty's advice and checked out the ORG today at lunch. Very nice!. I was impressed and I don't even know much of the stuff I was looking at!
    I left the store a little defeated though....I am beginning to think that I really cannot afford to jump into this side of the hobby at the moment. The more research I do the more overwhelming it seems. One of the biggest concerns I have has to do with water temperature. Our house is not air-conditioned. (Yet). This summer I saw the temp on my FW tank go from 77 to 88 a few times. I had no casualties. This is probably unacceptable in the SW world and I would hate to lose expensive livestock.

On a brighter note, I happened to be talking to a co-worker who is into SW and he has a lot of extra equipment. (and advice!)
    So, for now I think I will continue reading and researching before I come to a final decision.

I am in no rush.

Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by huizer View Post
    So, for now I think I will continue reading and researching before I come to a final decision.

I am in no rush.

Dan.
    good idea, doing lots of research can save you from having to buy equipment twice. :b15:
    `

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post
    good idea, doing lots of research can save you from having to buy equipment twice. :b15:
    Like chillers Fans work pretty well too but cause more evaporation.
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post
    you should take the time to go across the road and check out the ORG. they don't have the massive displays but loads of healthy livestock and honest advice.

A buddy and I checked out both last month when we were out there for the Canadian open at Glen Abby.

At ORG,I asked about some elegance coral.The reply I got was they were $120 because they were bullet proof.Of course I asked what made them bullet proof,it was because they arrived last night and they are already open.

At that point we left.
    100G Reef
    Purple,Blue,Yellow and Sailfin Tangs.Damsel,Clown and Coral Beauty,Fosters Hawkfish.
    Many mixed corals and clams.
    65G fuge in basement.
    Mag 24 return,RODI,2 Phosban reactors and UV.
    620w in DT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast