Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    liv

power generators, inverters, batteries, ups etc..

Hi,
    Last night was a wake up call, I knew this time would come.. was hoping I wouldn't have to face it now.. but oh well.

Lost power for over 1h early this morning... started sweating the power wouldn't come back soon.. and other then a bubble.. was SOL!

so, here's the plan...

I'm thinking of getting a 2-1 unit ( 2500w/5000w interter with built-in UPS ) some car batteries at canadiantire.. like an eleminator 1150cca

and on the long run, a home generator that runs on natural gas so the entire home can run on it.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

Any suggestion on brands for the UPS/Inverter ?

Any suggestions on batteries ex: drycell's or acid ? i know acid alot more power, but drycell no trouble and no leaks.

and suggestion on brands or type of home generator. ( i'm trying to stay away from gas ones and opting for natural gas )

Cheers!

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

ijo
    sorry I can't input on what you should do as I only have a small 26 gallon wall tank and a computer UPS on one maxijet 400 is enough to keep things going for a while.

That generator in the link you provided is awesome!!

I am in the same boat as you but I live in the country and I am on well and septic. So I have a few more things to put on.
    First off, buy yourself a nice quality UPS that can handle the heater, and a maxijet for a couple of hours. This will get you through the bulk for the minor blackouts. Or as you said, inverter/UPS combo. I have two computer UPS to run my system. One for a 50 watt heater and another for two 1200 maxijets. More than that and it can't handle it. It lasts for about 1.5 hours.
    Next, invest in a generator. In my opinion I think it is overkill for one of those big generators. We can all live without airconditioning during the summer... and use ice bottles to cool the tank and yourself.
    I have a 5500 watt 6500 peak generator for the house. I have not done the wiring yet but I have done some research on it. They make a transfer switch that plugs right into your meter that will automatically switch to generator power when power loss is detected. It also offers surge protection for the whole house. All I have to do is roll over my generator and plug it in to the transfer switch, switch which breakers I want on and a way I go.
    I have the aquarium on a dedicated circuit so I only have to turn that circuit on. The biggest expense is the transfer switch and generator. I will have to look at my papers to find out the name of the switch again.
    OH AND BY THE WAY, THIS SHOULD ALL BE DONE BY A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN.... just my 2 cents...
    150 (reef) 56 (FOWLR)
    75 gal sump 25 gal refuge
    300lbs CaribSea Aragonite Reef Sand
    280 lbs of Assorted rock
    Tunze 9010 skimmer, Current USA 48" Fixture
    1 cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp
    50 blue legged hermit, 15 nausaurus/astrea snails
    Yellow tang, 2 clowns, 1 blue chromis, 1 yellow watchman 1 corral beauty
    Colt coral, Frogspawn, Bubble, Donut coral, Mushrooms,Starburst green, Green and orange polyps an Umbrella coral, Purple Long Tentacle Anemone.

I would also reccomend you consider which powerheads you are going to hook up to your UPS.

Here is a quick comparison:
    MJ 1200 - 295 gph, $26.95, 20W
    Koralia 1 - 400 gph, $29.95, 3.5W
    Tunze Turbelle 6060 - 1585gph, $159.05, 11W

liv
    thanks guys,
    for powerheads, I got a few jbj500gph as well as old 802's i use to misc uses around the tank.

I found a smaller house unit at homedepot.. its about 800$ less too.. does 6000w and comes with that automatic switch and start kit too.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

or I could skip all this and just get a huge inverter w/ ups built-in and just run batteries instead. all i'd need to do is shutdown the ac and i'd be fine i think.. and possibly alot cheaper then a gas generator too.

at peak, my house uses ~7.6kw/h with everything on.
    so If I stop a few of the energy hogs, i'm well below 5k.

This will work if everything that you want to run is on. But when, lets say the compressor on your freezer starts up, the inverter won't be able to handle the extra peak load. Compressor coming on in the average freezer draws anywhere from 3 to 9 amps. Size and age of freezer has to be considered.
    Just give you a comparison; I tried to use a hydor 4 on the ups but won't work when they try to start up. The ups is not strong enough to take the peak moment demand. Now it will work with the maxijets though.
    You could easily wire in a gas generator with an extra panel and just use it when you need it.
    These self starting generators need alot more maintenance. They have to run once a week and regular oil changes done on them.
    I do like the idea of those generators, but for the price and amount of up keep and use you will get out of it. You are better off with a gas one and have it wired in. Price for a gas gen are not that bad. 500$ for a 5000 gen
    This is just my two cents. If you have the money and use fro one of these, Oh I forgot, 400 gallons is a big draw.
    150 (reef) 56 (FOWLR)
    75 gal sump 25 gal refuge
    300lbs CaribSea Aragonite Reef Sand
    280 lbs of Assorted rock
    Tunze 9010 skimmer, Current USA 48" Fixture
    1 cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp
    50 blue legged hermit, 15 nausaurus/astrea snails
    Yellow tang, 2 clowns, 1 blue chromis, 1 yellow watchman 1 corral beauty
    Colt coral, Frogspawn, Bubble, Donut coral, Mushrooms,Starburst green, Green and orange polyps an Umbrella coral, Purple Long Tentacle Anemone.

Avoid cheap inverters as they will not produce a sin wave but will simulate it by producing a square wave. This isn't a problem for most electronics as they usually are tolerant of this but for stuff like motors this is an issue.

I have been out for 12 hours or more and just using a beater in a cordless drill and heating water on the gas stove have not lost anything other then sleep. I am with Solowma, out in the country. If I spend the money on a generator for the fish I have to make sure it can keep the peace too (or the TV running :b15.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

liv
    absolutely agree.
    I will first try with a inverter with built in ups using a true sin wave.
    and a large battery.

agree as well for the tv he he
    all depends how long the power outages last.

a few winters ago, we lost 26h straight.. a 12v battery wouldn't keep my 400g happy for long.

beware neighbours, I may come borrow your car batteries.. lol

But good news, I do have my better half's approval to get the all the goodies I need ( home generator etc ) specially after i said, everything would run he he

For myself with small kids, a ups isn't enough. I have a 5000w generator that is wired through a proper panel into the house.

The tank(once set up again),furnace, well pump,fridge/freezer and a couple of other circuits are set up to be run on the generator when needed.

Those auto transfer switches are nice, but honestly I don't think they are really needed.

liv
    ya.. for sure..
    so here is the plan... ( up to now )
    I'm picking up a large inverter with built-in ups as well as possibly 2 drycells. I should be good with that for ~24h or more depending on heat needed to keep it at ~78f. i could always lower the heat as well to maybe 75f. ( assuming the inverter has an efficiency as described of over 90% and the electronics I use are as specs.

but I will definitely put on my todo list to get a generator to power-up the entire house. I have been looking at the honda 6500w and sounds like a great unit for the price as well as relatively calm.... and as you guys said, the gas one has a few advantages, i'm thinking portability would be great.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast