Thread: Flatworms

Flatworms

I have flatworms in my 77 gallon tank. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what advise do you have. I've been told that they should just crash on their own but can I speed that up in anyway possible?

What colour are they? If white, I had some in my old 90g and they disappeared on their own.
    180g with 2 x 54g corner bowfront bookends. 220 FOWLR in the works, 75g sump, 75g fuge, 75g QT.
    Solaris I4 72", 2 x 150 HQI Outer Orbit Pendants, Reeflo Orca 250, Profilux controller, Tunze 6101's and 6055's, Deltec CA Rx, PM Kalk Mixer, PM SR45 reactors.

liv
    hmmm the white ones may just leave.. but the more tenacious, orange/rust ones should be acted apon asap..
    depending on how many there are, ( hopefully not many ) you could do a treatment of flatworm exit.. this stuff is potent! Read the instructions to the letter. and its a good thing to run carbon and do water changes like 12h or even less after treatment.. quite a few guys here have had this plage.

if they dont go the first time, If I remember correctly you can double the dosage, and again.. carbon.. water changes.. doesn't work.. tripple dosage...

I picked up some LR once which was infested with it.. had to brush it off first, then flat worm exit 6 time with multiplied dosages.. finally got it.. I nuked the rock for sure.. but at least flatworm free.

Anything new going into the tank goes thought a 2-3x dosage of flatworm exit.. just to be sure.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

I had flatworms on my frogspawn and my torch in my 125 , no other corals seemed to be affected . So what I did was to set up a 10 gallon hospital tank and move the infested corals to it . I dosed the 10 gallon with Blue Vet Flatworm Control and after 24 hours all gone , no more flatworms . So I moved the coralsback into the big tank and there showing quiet and improvement

They are the orange rusty looking ones....and they are everywhere...they're on the rocks, sand, coral and even some on my poor hermit crabs shell.

if you're going to use FWE, as others have pointed out make sure you follow the instructions. you have to siphon out as many as you can before you dose and continue siphoning them out as they die or you can have a serious tank crash.

good luck :b15:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Six line wrasses eat them. Even better, I have a Mandarian goby that went to town on them. I had alot of them in an old tank and the mandarian wiped them out completly.

liv
    good luck, and make sure you prepare come carbon as well as do water changes.. if there are alot, your water will turn orange! so read instructions first.. and post your results.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Seriously, don't take any chances. Dying flatworms release a toxin, and if there is enough of it, it will kill your fish.

The safest way to use FE is to remove each rock, piece by piece and dip it in a bucket with water and a good double dose of FE. Leave it in there for about 20 seconds and give it a good shake to make sure all of the dead ones come off of the rock. Rinse in a second bucket. Do this rock by rock and then put them all back in the tank. Siphon off all flatworms that are on the sand and glass.

This process will ensure that you remove the vast majority of flatworms before treating the whole tank.