Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Snails and Hermits dying

Looking for some help with this problem as I have been unable to figure out what is happening to my snails and hermits. Very weird problem and I'm going to do my best to explain what's happening.

All of my corals and fish are fine. I have many different types of corals, sps, lps, softies and they are all doing fine. Clam, cleaner shrimp and conch are all fine as well. I also have some nasarius snails that are doing well.

My fish are very happy and show no signs of stress or disease.

99% of my astrea snails have died and all of my mexican turbos have died. I decided to buy 4 more turbos 2 weeks ago and the snails look good for the first few days but then become lethargic. They're not being killed. They are still in their shell but stop eating and moving. Eventually they stop clinging to the rock or glass and I find them in the sand.

My hermits are also 99% gone. Not exactly sure what's going on with them but I haven't been able to confirm they're not being killed. I just find empty shells.

- It's not copper. I've never used it and the tank was new. Besides corals and other inverts are fine.

- Maybe there is a predator but there is something else too as the snails are slowly dying. Also the snails are not all in one area they are all over the place. I would think that if I had a mantis or something like that the shells would all be in the same spot.

- I thought it was temperature but the last time I bought snails I made sure the temp was steady all the time. The temp never goes above 81 or below 78.

It appears as though only the algae eaters that are being affected.

Pat had mentioned something to me about some kind of red algae that might be causing the deaths. I'm beginning to think that this is more likely. I thought I had cyano but he mentioned that there is an algae (I think) that is red and looks like cyano that the snails might be eating that's killing them. I may have this in the tank and I'm confusing it with cyano. I don't remember what it is. Does anyone know and if there is any way to treat it? If hermits eat it would it also affect them?

Any other thoughts?

not sure what would affect those inverts / species of snails and not the others.

could you list your water params??
    can you post a pic or two?? ( of the remaining snails / algae )
    have you seen any parasitic snails on the astrea / turbo snails??
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Well looks like I'm having problems uploading pictures to this site. I just tried to upload some but it showed some that I had uploaded a long time ago. Not sure if this is new and there is some post work that needs to be done on the pictures or not but we'll see what happens over the next few days.

- I do have a ton of small snails. Very very small snails. You could probably get over 30 of them on a Canadian quarter. They have a white and pink/brown shell. I took some pictures and tried to upload but they didn't upload yet. They don't look like they bother any of the other snails though.

- I have one astrea snail left. Nothing looks different about it. Just looks like a regular astrea snail. It is always on the glass and never on the rock.

As I said I hope the pictures will post. I will check back again tomorrow.

I don't really test my water params. I do monthly water 25% water changes to keep them all in check. Temp and salinity is stable though ... that I'm sure of. I use distilled water and IO salt. My skimmer is running steady ... not too wet and not too dry and I have a ton of cheato in my sump. I have been thinking about adding more flow but I'm not sure if it's necessary. I have two maxi jet 1200 and a Mag 7 returning from the sump.

Quote Originally Posted by StephG View Post
    I do have a ton of small snails. Very very small snails. You could probably get over 30 of them on a Canadian quarter. They have a white and pink/brown shell. I took some pictures and tried to upload but they didn't upload yet. They don't look like they bother any of the other snails though.
    spiral shell??

where do you see them???

check the foot of the larger snails??

nitrates can be hard on inverts but without a test result, its hard to say?
    `

My Gallery

Nitrates = less than 5 and I'm 100% sure of that. This is something that I've tested in the past and has always read 0.

I don't have any snails to check right now to see if there's anything on them. I monitored the other snails while they were in the tank and I don't recall seeing any of the smaller snails on their foot. They come out mostly at night and I can see them on the glass a lot. Yes it is a spiral shell. Hopefully the pics come out this week. Thanks again for your input.

They look a lot like this

http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/snails/ph...view?b_start=6

and like I said very small.

Or like this

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/snailid17.htm

The one with the title "If I could bother you or one of the other crew members with a snail and parasite, ID, 9/27/08"

Hard to tell because I have no reference picture for size. Mine are all the same size and are about as big as half of a grain of rice.

liv
    check your parameters first, sounds like a spike of low or high Alk.
    or... could be a predator. what have you introduced lately ?
    changed batches of salt ?

as for the tiny snails.. not sure.. but I have these as well.. they come out at night.. I have hundreds of these. I do not see them on my corals.. just on the walls and around the strainers.. they seem like graisers to me.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

where the snails are found and the pics rule out what i was thinking. and they wouldn't have had any effect on the hermits. check your params and make sure your RODI filters and membrane are all in order as well as anything you are dosing.

as liv pointed out, have you added anything to the tank recently?? ( hitchhiker? )
    `

My Gallery

I haven't really introduced anything lately as I've been trying to get rid of my hair algae. So not sure about the whole hitchhiker thing. I will verify my params but I don't dose anything. I use IO salt and do 25 % water changes every month. I run carbon (from big als the good stuff) and I skim. It might be the water but I doubt it. I use distilled water from a vendor called Bon O Clair. PPM comes up at 1. They distill the water on site. I will verify my water params but I'm more worried that it's an algae that's killing them. I'll get some pictures and post them. Thanks for all of your advice guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast