Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Suggestions please

Okay, this is going to sound silly, but here it goes anyways. I am looking for one or more suggestions for inhabitants for my 75G tank, it is connected to a large system so do not worry about bio load, however it is well lit (600W) and cotains about 35-50lbs of LR (i.e. lots of hiding space), it has a deep sand bed and contains mostly soft corals none that are evil except a very largy galaxy that does sting if it can.

There are 2 fire fish at this time and a clean up crew. I would liek something with personality that can stay in the tank for a long time. The inhabitants can not eat each others or the cleanup crew, nor do I want something that will eliminate the critters.

So this rules out triggers, wrasses, angels. I am also looking for easy to care for fish that are not shy areound people as there are always people moving in front of the tank. So there go a lot of gobies, sea horses and most really small fish.

Any suggestions?

I am thinking about a hippo Tang and I tried it but he got eaten by the crabs and the last one got himself eaten by the corals so while I like the colour they seem to be just to dumb.

I am open to all ideas and hey, I can always say no, but I'll post the debate in response to the suggestions. Remember no eating of each other and no leathal toxin releasing fish either (we have had suggestions for box fish already).

Peter
    Peter Bomberg
    pbx@soundfound.com

Reef Nut (600G of tanks and my wife still talks to me)

I like the unicorn tang...always moving, very active, and lively. they do get big however.

Here's what I would stock in there...just my favorites.

One Flame angle, One sixline wrasse (won't eat critters), one yellow coris, one lawnmover blennie, 2-3 blue chromis, yellow tang (small), 2 brittle stars, 2 emerald crabs, 2 cleaner shrimp, 4 peppermint shrimp.

That should give you colour, easy care, and movement.The wrasses above are very reef friendly and community fish. Same goes with the flame angel.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Angels of the Genicanthus genera are reef-safe and won't eat any of your inverts... they are zoo-planktivores. :thumb:
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

Mouse,
    Where the heck did you read that 6 lines won't eat critters??!! They will and so will the Yellow one.
    Flame angels are not exactly reef safe. there ARE lots of people that keep them with no problems, while others have them nipping and eating all kinds of corals. The Flame Angel is always a gamble. If you want a safe Angel, then read below.

ReefVan,
    Yes all the genicanthus angels are reef safe and only eat from the water column. However.., lots of them are deeper water and will stay hidden in the rockwork in a well lit tank. The Lamarck ( the one I have) is NOT a deeper water fish and will always be out cruising around.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    On the subject of zoo-planktivores, and triggers...

You could always go for a Xanthichthys genera of Trigger... ie: the Xanthichthys auromarginatus which is also known as the Bluethroat Trigger.
    This is a beautiful and peaceful genera of trigger that won't eat all of your tank inhabitants.

The Bluethroat trigger:

Other members of the Xanthichthys genera include the:

Xanthichthys ringens (Sargassum Trigger):

and the EXPENSIVE Xanthichthys mento (Crosshatch Trigger):

I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

If looking for something a little more subtle, you can go for the Genicanthus genera of angels.

The Lamark's, Bellus,Swallowtail, and Wattanabei Angels are all of this genera. All equally beautiful, and are all NOT coral nippers.

I have a huge yellow coris, large sixline and a flame angel...I keep all kinds of soft, LPS, and SPS corals with no problem in over a year. My sixline will (lucky for me) eat flatworms but other than that none of these fish have ever caused me any grief. Just my personal experience.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Thanks everyone, I will have to seperate into I need to review versus no and here is why versus hmm, this might work.

Unicorn Tang (no, gets to big)
    Flame angle (no, have one in the large tank)
    sixline wrasse (no, eats all the criters on the rock)
    yellow coris (hmm, have to review)
    lawnmover blennie (no, have on in large tank)
    blue chromis (hmm, have to review)
    yellow tang (maybee)

I am ordering a BlueJaw/BlueChin (Male) or a male Croshatch for my large tank so I'll pass on getting one for the small, but yes they seem to be ideal choices (except for the $800 US price tag).

I am contemplating a school fish and am hoping someone has kept firefish schools (???) as I have 2 in there and they hang out in the middle of the tank.

Peter
    Peter Bomberg
    pbx@soundfound.com

Reef Nut (600G of tanks and my wife still talks to me)

Mouse,
    I didn't mean they would cause any grief. It's just that Flames are a luck of the draw. Six lines and Yellow Wrasses will, as all wrasses do, pick at the various tiny critters in the tank. It's what they do, and yes both of those are a good possibility for flatties although not always. Yellow wrasses are also good for Pyramellid snails.

Peter,

The Crosshatch is the expensive one... From what I've seen, you can get Bluwthroat Triggers for under $80 Cdn!

They are beautiful, aren't they?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast