Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Maxijet problems

I have an MJ1200 which I bought about 3 months ago in which the impeller has 'frozen' and the pump won't work. My impression is that the quality of MJ pumps has been dropping recently. But, that's not my question.

The box lists a 2 year performance warranty. Does anyone know how to get something replaced under that warranty? Going to the vendor is tricky since I no longer have the receipt (who keeps receipts for items costing $30). And, shipping to the manufacturer would likely cost more than buying a new pump
    Nick

ijo
    To be honest with you... I have never heard of a maxijet dying... I'm thinking you will need a receipt to get a replacement....

IJO

I've had at least three die in the past year. Surprised me too.
    Nick

liv
    wow.. do you clean them from time to time ?
    they need to be cleaned periodically by dipping them in vinegar and disasembling them and then giving them a good scrub. the cleaning will vary from how much debris is in the water.. algea as well as how high your calcium is.

when you say impeller has frozen.. was the magnet melted through... i'm thinking they need to be cleaned only.. I've had MJ for years too.. not a single dead.. and i've abused them .. believe me

post a pic.. i'd be interested to see one.. if your bored one day.. bring one by my place.. i'd like to take a look at one.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

They get disassembled and cleaned every couple of months - water and vinegar dip.

Nothing which would show on a photograph Normally, the rod through the magnet part of the impellor will slide up and down and the magentic part with spin easily around the rod. This one is 'frozen'. I can get the rod to move if I hit it with a hammer . And the magent will turn if I manual turn it. But, hook-up the unit and you get nothing - just a lot of heat generation. That's after nearly 48 hours of soaking in vinegar. This unit is only about 4 months old.
    Nick

liv
    wow.. so the coil inside is shot ? i've seen this on hagens as well as on jbjs.. but never on a MJ... ya i guess they lowered in quality.. sadly.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

I'm surprised too, I've had maxijet for years and you wouldn't believe what i've done to them and still going strong.
    Sorry, I can't help.

i hope they haven't cheapened the MJ pumps, i would rather pay a buck or two more and keep the quality. i've used and abused MJ's for years and i don't think i've ever had one fail.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

This is getting silly now. I have three MJ1200 pumps sitting in my sink which won't work. On one, the magnetic sleeve on the impeller has split into sections and fallen off. A second has the impeller 'frozen'. While the third just sits there and the impeller oscilates back and forth and won't turn. I bought a new MJ1200 before New Years and none of the three impellers will work in the new pump. Quite bizzare.

The reason these are all in my sink is because I was doing maintenance. So, all of them are freshly cleaned and vinegar soaked (for up to 48 hours). And, I am not using them for tennis balls The one which is 'oscillating' was used to pump water to my fresh water resevoire once a week - hardly heavy use.
    Nick

HI ,
    I am not sure that im getting this right , but the magnet should not spin on the shaft as this is glued/moulded on so that the assembly drives the prop I hope this helps
    dont worry the world wont end today!, because its already tomorrow in Australia.:b15:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast