Question yellow gorgonias

I love the look of these corals but I read that they mostly extend poyps during feedings like sun corals. Is this true? I would like to buy one but most of the ones I've seen in other tanks resemble dead trees. will some type have there polyps extended more often than others?

John,
    Are you referring to the Yellow ones Ivan is selling? They are called Diodogorgia. They do NOT do well in tanks. Yes, they will last for quite awhile and tend to do so if they are growing or branching off of a cliffwall in direct current ( do you remember seeing it in my tank?). If they are in good current, they will extend their polyps most of the time. HOWEVER..., the reason you seem to think they only extend the polyps when it's feeding time is because the ones you see have all already given up and have started to recede. As with all corals, these are no exception to the rule that once you physically see bad signs or deterioration, it is already past hope. These gorgs are strictly filter feeders ( a point given away by the white color of their polyps). All autotrophic ( photosynthetic) gorgs have tan or light brownish polyps and are the only ones that will usually not only survive in our tanks but actually grow and flourish. I'd advise you to not buy one of the yellow ones. The reason they are common is because they are abundant in the wild and easily accessable.

toutouche

Thanks bud, Thats what I thought from research. To bad, there very pretty. How about the purple ribbons? better choice?

Yes, while that one WILL feed by filtering, it is secondary. It gets most of it's nutrition from light as does the Purple Frilly that I also have. They like current though, although not the skin ripping current that some SPS enjoy. Also, don't be scared when they start to form a mucous tunic as leathers do. They also do this to cleanse their surface ( which is another indication that they absorb light through their skin).