Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Copperband Butterflyfish Experiences?

i was at BA's yesterday on my quest for cerith snails, still no luck :b8:. i was walking around and noticed some 2 1/2" CBB in a tank with the lights out and a not for sale sign on the tank. i grabbed one of the girls and asked why and when they would be ready, she said they have only been in for a couple of days and they like to hold them for at least a week before selling. i gave her the :022: look and asked "am i at BA's", she just laughed and said yes. i also asked if they were eating and they are, she offered to feed them but i'll wait till the QT is over.

i have just recently found a few aptasia in my tank ( ripped all the LR down again ) after years of not seeing any. i have come to the realization that this isn't a fight i can outright win. if they're going to live off me for free, i'm going to put them to work in a Cryptic / Benthic zone and control them in the tank.

i know they will eat aptasia and feather dusters but what about other inverts?? i've heard people say they've picked at their clams and others have had no problems with them. what about other anemones??

my current fish list:

6" Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum)
    2 1/2" Three Stripe Damsel (Dascyllus aruanus) and yes he is ( are u anus )
    pair of 3 1/2" Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
    3" Sailfin Blenny ( LMB, Salarias fasciatus)

they all get along good but the TSD likes to pretend he's the boss, the other fish usually just ignore him though i've seen the PT chase him around in retaliation ( with me cheering him on in the background :017: ). i've always wanted a CBB but have been cautious because i realy like my inverts and don't like the 'tough to get started eating'. also these guys are a perfect size, all the others i see around are much bigger.

anyone have a bad ( or good ) experiences with these fish??
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

I've had two in the past.Although I didn't have any clams at the time,they were no problem with the reef life.Including the aptasia.They didn't touch it.

Both slowly starved over time.

The best result I ever had was a combination of Bergia nudibranches and kalking the heck out of them.

I've been aptasia and hydroid free for close to two years.It WAS a fight.
    100G Reef
    Purple,Blue,Yellow and Sailfin Tangs.Damsel,Clown and Coral Beauty,Fosters Hawkfish.
    Many mixed corals and clams.
    65G fuge in basement.
    Mag 24 return,RODI,2 Phosban reactors and UV.
    620w in DT.

congratulations :b15:

i did the same, went nuts with the joes and killed as many as i could find. then added the berghia nudibranches and was aptasia free for a couple of years but they're back.............

it's the 'had a couple' over the years that i don't like, seems everyone has a hard time keeping them alive and i don't like the idea of buying a fish that will only live for a short time.

any other experiences..???
    `

My Gallery

HOB
    I also had two CBB in the past on different occasions. Both times they eliminated most of my aptasia and small fan worms and were consistently picking at the rocks with their long spouts. Then after 3-4 months or so, they also slowly starved to death. They were in a large 4+ years established system and after the second loss, I gave up trying to house them as I didn't want to kill another one. I got 3 peppermint shrimp instead and as far as I can tell, have been aptasia free since.

thanks for the reply, i've never had much lick with peppermints, the always take the overflow ride to the basement. i still haven't decided about the CBB, why do all the purdy fish have to be so finicky ???
    `

My Gallery

After two failed attempts with CBB I was about to give up. Not sure if the first two didn't survive because of hunger or because my SFT would bully it. But none the less I gave it a third and final time. The first two CBB were rather large but on my third attempt I bought a small 2" fat CBB. Upon entering the tank my SFT was back to bullying again. So I ended up babysitting the tank for a night. Everytime he would attempt to chace the CBB I would swat at him with my 2' proscraper or tap on the glass. After awhile as soon as Id go to open the canopy he would leave him alone right away. Since then things have been going good and he eats mysis and brine shrimp abd picks at rocks and substrate all day. Its been about 3 months. BUT has not really shown interest in aptasia . Anyways if someone needs a babysitter for their tank, Im for hire!!!!LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ZXZXZ View Post
    Everytime he would attempt to chace the CBB I would swat at him with my 2' proscraper or tap on the glass. After awhile as soon as Id go to open the canopy he would leave him alone right away.
    Had to laugh at this as I have done the same thing only using a turkey baster directed at my (former) coral banded shrimp. Every time he'd leap off the rocks and try to catch my Ocellaris.
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

liv
    i've had great luck with them.. last one died stuck between two branches of an sps.. wasn't the brightest guy lol
    but they were model citizens in my tank.. never bothered anything other then aiptasia.. never touched clams.

i'll be getting another one soon. I find the smaller individuals have a higher chance of survival.. possibly because they can adapt better to the changes.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

i'm going to go look at them again today, just another quick question....

are they timid eaters?? when the food hits the water my PT goes into a frenzy, usually scaring everyone else away. does the CBB need time to eat or will he jump in and grab food when he wants???

thanks for the help :b16:
    `

My Gallery

I have one and he only eats brine shrimp so when i go to feed it thru a eye droper he's always there nibbling at the eye droper waiting for the shrimp to come out and he's not scare or timid of any of my other fish around he's been pretty good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast