Senior Member upthecreekwithoutapaddle's Avatar

weight and volume...Live rock/dry rock

volume of rock...anyone figured this out? how much (approx.) weight is water in 50lbs of LR that is cured? so how much more rock would one get if they purchased it dry versus wet?

It's really hard to say. Two pieces of similar sized rock can have a huge weight difference. Depending on type of rock too. And if purchasing it dry, it wouldn't quite be LR anymore.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

But if you are purchasing dry rock... you can seed it with a couple of pieces of live rock... it may take a while but it will eventually become live rock. This is the stage I'm in now.

Senior Member upthecreekwithoutapaddle's Avatar
    hi everyone. yeh i understand the benefit of LR vs. Dry but wondering if in large quanties...50lbs, is there a great difference in volume.

i'm sure there is and as posted above it will become live again, but you don't get all the interesting critters that come from wet rock.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Density

I think that its a hard one to call as some rock is so dence that it may weight the same dry as a very pouris rock wet .
    I more look at the quality of the live rock or the quantity of the base rock the two have their own atributs IMO
    dont worry the world wont end today!, because its already tomorrow in Australia.:b15:

but comparing each of those pieces dry weight to their wet weight, the wet will always weigh more but dry rock is dead. not a problem if you have some good LR to seed the new with but i'm with you, now when i look for LR, i'm looking for shapes rather than just bulk rock.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

liv
    also, most base rock is usually heavier as its dug from either quaries or deeper in reefs. no real way to know unless you know where it comes from. the branching rocks are usually more lightweight ( like the tonga ) as it has more air pockets etc..

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

I did some digging and found my old post:
    ---------------------------
    Basic limestone is listed in the range of 110(low density)-160(high density) lbs per cubic foot.

So, your 130 lbs of rock would actually be somewhere between 1.18 and .81 cubic feet, or, 8.9 and 6.1 gallons (of pure rock).

If you wanted to know how much room they are taking up (not how much water they displace) that will depend VERY much on the type of rock and the porosity (which will vary greatly within a source (eg. Marshall Islands, Fiji, etc.). The only way to determine that would be to wrap them all tightly in plastic and measure their displacement.
    ---------------------------

Converting to 50 lbs of rock, you'd be looking at 3.4 - 2.3 gallons of rock (no including voids that won't fill with water).

All this to say, the difference in weight of dry vs. wet is relatively insignificant compared to the price premium you pay for live rock.

You will absolutely get more rock (weight or volume) buying dead rock (reef bones, base rock, what-have-you). Only a fraction of the saving is due to the rock being dry, the balance is the lack of care needed to ship and store dead rock.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.