Redox control calibration

I can not locate the documentation that came with my redox meter/controller and it was in German anyway. Canany one tell me how to test it's reading accuracy and or calibrate it. There must be some known reading that will be given when the probe is put into predetermined fluid at a predetermined temperature? Any help would be great because my tank has been running at 490 / 515 (day / Night) for a while now but jumped to 701 yesterday after a 10% water change and gravel vacuuming. these #s must be wrong even if the meter remains good for showing trends.
    Rob

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Hi Dog...
    I actually read up on that tonight..

It's normally not necessary to calibrate an ORP probe. However, if the need arises, you'll need Quinhydrone, pH 4.00 and pH 7.00 solutions in order to calibrate it.

1- Create a Saturated solution of Quinhydrone and pH 7.00 calibration solution.

2- Place the probe in the Quinhydrone/pH 7.00 solution.

3- Depending on the make/model of your ORP meter, the readings will be different. However you'll have to wait until the reading has stabilized.

4- Create a Saturated solution of Quinhydrone and pH 4.00 calibration solution.

5- Place the probe in the Quinhydrone/pH 4.00 solution.

6- Depending on the make/model of your ORP meter, the readings will be different. However you'll have to wait until the reading has stabilized.

It may be easier to just purchase a new ORP probe...
    Here: http://aquariacanada.com/osCommerce/...roducts_id=281
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Thanks Tang Man
    My unit is made by Preis in Germany. What are the chances that the probes attach in the same way? I know mine must be out to lunch as my water can not be at 703? From what i understand corals will not even open above 500 something. when the probe is in these fluid what should the reading be?

Dog,

I'm not familiar with that unit. You may want to try contacting the manufacturer

Most probes that I've seen have BNC connectors and are interchangable among other brands. Look at the link I included above to see the connector.

Yes the connection dose look the same but I think I need to confirm that the receiving unit is not faulty before I get another probe. Is it possible for the water in my tank to be 703? I know the probe will respond to water quality change because if I put it in tap water it will drop quickly. So I don't think the probe is in question. I think the receiver need to be calibrated. I found the web site of the manufacture but it is also only on German.

Go here:
    http://babelfish.altavista.com

Put the link of the webpage to translate into english and presto. You have the english language.

In response to your ORP reading 703. I've never heard of such a high reading. I don't think it's possible without it being outta whack.

WOW thats great Tang man .. And yes something is out to lunch with it.

thanks
    Rob