old clown fish on his last few hours :(

I bought my clown fish about 9 years ago...he was my very first salt water fish. His sister died a few years back (I assume they were brother and sister as they never mated Im kidding of course...

I noticed over the last few months that he was started to look..well....old. I did a bit of researched online and found out that they only live about 10 years in captivity.

Tonight when I got home from work I noticed that he was lying flat on the bottom and not really moving around alot. I've pulled up a chair and have been sitting and watching him. I assume by the time I wake up tomorrow he will be gone.

I wish I had set up my 10 gallon as I said I would knowing he was going and I wanted him to die in peace instead of probably being eaten by the other fish and inverts.

I've never owned a fish this long and I doubt I ever will again.

I've moved about 5 times since I bought him and he's survived alot of "oopses" over the years...I will miss him

Has anyone else ever owned a fish this long?

sad news, so sorry to hear :b1:

i have a pair of 8 year old clowns that have been with me from the beginning and don't even want to think about my tank without them.

just have to remember all the good times, i've had jumpers and others that died by less than normal circumstances but it means a lot more after this amount of time.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

it's always sad when a fish you have had for a while dies, fish never have much sentimental value aside from physical value unless i have owned them for a while. last time i was upset at the death of a fish was when i was nine and my betta died. I haven't been keeping fish long enough to become attached to any one or pair. my freshwater tanks contain some fish i actually named so tha's a milestone.
    Coral Banded Shrimp
    Bastards of the Ocean

liv
    ya, sad news for sure.
    8 and 9 years wow! still thats a long time for a clown in captivity, congrats
    you must of been doing something right!

I've had 2 pairs of clowns for close to 2 years.
    I did miss my first copperband that I sold when i tore down my old tank.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

ijo
    Very sad!!!

I had a pair of darwin clowns that definately paired up... they were always together. I had lost the male during a tank crash and got a replacemnt soon afterwards. The idea was to get a false clown and hope for the best... the plan didn't work... they always fight. I hope they get over it as one is definately growing faster than the other(good sign... I think they are male/female).

IJO

I've got a yellow watchman gobie that is 7 years old, and he does look old.

Thats sucks, 9 years is a long time. I dont have the saltwater set up yet but I have a colony of fish that I've had for 6 years.

Paze

I had even sent in a video too for that job in Australia...The Best Job in the World...and had included little Nemo in the video. I had said that if I won I would bring him with me and return him back to the Great Barrier Reef where he belongs...and then 2 weeks later he dies.