My visit to some kingston locations

I happened to be out of town this weekend visiting family in Kingston. I thought I'd swing by some of the local fish stores and see what they got going on. I also noticed I was low on kalk. So I was hoping to pick some up. I first went to finaddicts, unfortunately they didn't have what I was looking for. I asked one of them if he has kalkwasser, or limewater powder, he had no idea what I was talking about. He then asked another employee, and she didn't know either. Other then that, the store looked good.

I then went to pet paradise, and this was a total coral disaster. They also didn't carry kalkwasser either. Fish seemed to be alright, but the 4 to 6 tanks of corals they had were in horrific shape. Dim lighting. The only thing realistically living was some low light mushrooms. Other then that, every other coral was either receeding badly and almost dead. You could see several other skeletons in the tanks of corals that had already died. They had a whole bunch of starfish in several of the tanks, and even a sea apple, which was just about dead, all shrivelled up and not even moving. Personally, they have no business ordering any such livestock when they can't take care of them at all.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

i can't believe neither one new what kalk was, very strange.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Scotty's(formerly Roys) would have had kalk I think.

Kingston really is lacking for good stores, Finaddicts is so-so, but as always the coral selection is weak. Proper lighting seems to be the hold back for some reason.

On a brighter note Forty Fathoms just east of Gananoque is getting really good reviews. (google: forty fathoms gananoque)

Its a home based set up, and although I haven't been in yet, I have met Jim the owner and he's a good guy.