Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Snails vs. Hermits

Ok, i am making an order of snails for my tank (mainly to eat up all my algae) below are the snails i am getting - feel free to comment. Question is: Should i avoid adding any hermit crabs to my tank (i have like 3 blue legged and 3 red legged currently)? i dont want to get hermits and then find that they killed my snails. are they needed for anything my snails cant do? i have emerald crabs and shrimps to scavange, so i dont see why i would need hermits. let me know.
    i am ordering:
    12 Astrea
    12 Margarita
    12 Turbo
    12 Cerith
    12 Nassarius
    (i figured it would give me a little bit of variety) all from MarineDepot.com
    let me know what your thoughts are.
    thanks.
    Albert
    My Photos

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I would cut down on the turbos, maybe 6 only, and add more cerith and Nass...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I find my ceriths don't do much and the nassarius won't do anything for your algae (at least mine don't). The nassarius mostly scavenges the sand bed. When I had some hair algae, the astreas and my one turbo munched it all. Haven't seen any come back so far!
    thanks.
    thien

well i guess people have experienced it both ways. Seems like it depends on the snails and the conditions - hence i like the variety, out of all those, somebody is gonna have to eat something.
    (i also got a yellow scroll coral and an fire coral and red-finger gorgonian)
    Albert
    My Photos

Red leg hermits get big and will kill snails. Blue legs also will kill snails. Don't add any more and maybe get rid of the red leg hermits.

Turbos can be a pain as they fall over and die. I keep nassarius(20, eat everything in the sand), tons of cerith (40, they like the rock work), astrea (20),margarita snails (20), bumble bee snails (10, they stay on the sand)

For main algae control I keep a healthy lawnmover blennie, and luckily my yellow tang picks the rocks constantly. I also keep 2 emerald crabs.

Works for me....
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

It looks good... One thing to keep in mind.. when keeping Snails and Hermits together.. make sure you keep extra empty shells in the tank or eles your hermits will kill your snails for the larger shells.

i have empty shells in my tank (from my turbos that fell over and died). i have 3 emerald crabs too, and a algae blenny and a red-sea-sailfin tang (barely ever feed the tank, want them to eat up the algae, but it still grows faster than they can eat, the snails will now be able to help)
    Albert
    My Photos

Have you thought of using a SeaHare, Its a slug type critter who eats up the Alage in a heart beat!

i dont like things that can die and poison my tank, or that are big enough to topple corals - would this see hare still qualify?
    Albert
    My Photos

Anything can die and poison a tank

I have kept seahares in my tanks and have had them die.. i had a 4 inch one die in my 30 gallon found it 2 days later and no issues..

as for toppling corals.. no worse than using Snails..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast