Chambered Nautilus in a tank?

Hi everyone!
    I'm not an expert, not a newbie, but definitely always in search of answers. So I'm asking you people (especially the experts). First, is it possible to keep a Chambered Nautilus in an aquarium? I guess it is; there are gazillions of videos on YouTube (whatever what this is really worth!) of these critters in home and commercial aquariums. I must admit that this animal really fascinates me and honestly, I'm considering the possibility of eventually getting one (I'm talking in the long term, like 5-10 years, not now!!). Is it possible?? I mean, how large should the tank be? Where could I possibly find information on how to really take care of the nautilus without making him sick within a few weeks? Would I need a water cooler? Does it need higher pressure as it lives in the deep? Should I always keep it in the dark? How could I find one? I'm living in the Ottawa area, and I'm not even sure if the only respectable fish store here could find me one!! So many questions, and not a single answer! I hope that someone could help me. Once again, I'm not planning to get one in the next few years, but I prefer to start my researches right away. Thanks!!

liv
    I'm not an expert at all.. just another aquarist, but here are my 2cents:
    I'd say its definitely doable.
    the ones available in the hobby rarely make it passed 8" so your tank should still have about 2feet side by possibly 4 feet long for it to have plenty of room.. and maybe bigger. as for pressure, I say its not necessary. the nautilus adapts to pressure differences quite well actually as they migrate up in the sea every night to feed and descend back down every morning.

as for lighting, a gentle light.. a few NO's would be quite fine.
    diet, shrimps & other meaty foods.. possibly enriched with cycloeese and garlic etc.. there are some details on the net for recipes for feeding nautilus.

I've been fascinated by these as well since childhood.
    let us know if you do decide to get some.. i'd love to see some pics and or movies etc.

Cheers and welcome to Aquaria Canada !!

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Thank you so much! Your quick reply was probably more helpful than everything I've seen so far on the net. Still, I'll try to find some books on this matter as I am the reading kind of guy, but you gave me hope that it may not be as difficult as expected! I knew that the Nautilus was going in shallow waters at night to feed, but I wasn't sure how well it was able to adapt to different pressures. I'll try to talk next weekend with the Marinescape guys here in Ottawa, and rest assured that if this project gets real, you'll see lots of pictures posted! By any chance, would you know any books or good websites for further information? Thanks again for your help! :b16: And sorry for my English... I live near Ottawa, but on the French side of the river!

liv
    he he.. join the club.. i'm in Aylmer and speak Fr too

We have quite a few sponsors including Marinescape on here which can probebly find some for you.

If these guys can't get it, post a "Sponsor Request" i've seen some wierd creatures ordered in by some suppliers.. really different stuff like jellyfish, squids etc.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by DrRockso View Post
    By any chance, would you know any books or good websites for further information?
    Hi, I'm new here too and asked that exact same question only a few days ago here: http://www.aquariacanada.com/forums/...threadid=14117

Got some really good suggestions by Liv.

I would definitly head over to Marinescape and ask them a few questions. I was there last saturday and bought a book. After getting a third of the way through, I can definitly say that's I'd recommend it. Don't know if I took their last copy though .. It's Natural Reef Aquariums by John H. Tullock.

welcome to the forums

to Aquaria Canada

cephalopods are almost impossible to keep successfully in a home aquarium, even the pros with $$$$ backing them at large aquariums are just barely able to keep a nautilus for any period of time. most in the home aquarium last a couple of months, opposed to decades in the wild. IMO these guys are best left in the ocean.

what i do know is they need a cool tank ( ~65F ), live in the dark and can't handle N waste ( NO3 ). these along with our inability to match the pressures and regular changes in pressures make for an almost impossible scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by DrRockso View Post
    By any chance, would you know any books or good websites for further information?
    two books on the nautilus.......

Nautilus. The Biology and Paleobiology of a Living Fossil. Edited by Bruce Saunders and Neil H. Landman

In Search of Nautilus: Three Centuries of Scientific Adventures in the Deep Pacific to Capture a Prehistoric-Living-Fossil by Peter Douglas Ward

HTH

and don't worry about the French thing, i speak English and sometimes even i can't figure out what i was trying to say :b15:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

liv
    re-reading online.. they can deal with reef temperatures, but only for a few hours. they require high 50's to low 60F waters.

so chillers will be a must... and possibly a power backup in case of power outages. clear water.. free of N03 ( so run uv, o3 and carbon ) possibly at all times.

haha! Good to know that even English people don't always know what they're saying! :b15: Thanks a lot for the useful info. I'm aware that keeping a Nautilus is not the best idea I could find, but you should have seen the worst one... I'll still ask the Marinescape crew what they think about it, and if I'm banned from the store, well, I'll know the answer! (yup, that probably implies lots of tears and chocolate from the Polish store beside MS) But seriously, I'll try to find these books and still get as much info/litterature/advices/kicks and punches as I can, but your advices are noted and definitely considered!! Merci!
    Also, thanks for letting me know that there is another thread on the subject, I'll take a look at it...