Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question enhanced biological activity (aka Vodka method)

I ran a few search strings inquiring about what some people call "The Vodka Method" Really not much current discussion about it on Aquaria Canada for some reason. Did many of you try it or other ways to accomplish the end result? That being to elevate available carbon, increasing plankton growth and then skimming it out.

Did it work for you or not?

Any other supplement regimes to do this besides the evil potato juice?

Unfortunately my house is an Alcohol free zone and a bottle of Vodka hidden down behind my sump is just not going to go over well with anyone. Any alternatives out there?

ijo
    We have talked about this before... I tried the sugar method and was very pleased with the results. I had a large algae issue I cold not seem to get under control... sugar defiantely helped and eventually stoped dosing(slowly over time).

I wonder how tough it would be to get our hands on some purified sugar or other additive in large volumes.

IJO

Using the search string for Sugar brought up some fantastic threads. The one from 2005 had everything I needed. Thank you for helping me find it

1/2 a teaspoon each day on my 90gal+20sump system is where I will start.

liv
    I tried the Vodka method ( one for you, one for me )
    but seriously.. It didn't work for me and made the tank worse.
    so I had to stop gently and still.. it took a while for things to get back in check.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

ijo
    My tank had gone cloudy when i first added sugar... I thought it was crashing but things got back to normal a couple days later. I remeber the water being extremely clear after things settled. I just don't like the idea of dosing something that is known to be unpure... what else could be in the sugar that we do not want in out system?

IJO

When I started seriously debating doing something along these lines I had that same thought, What about all the other stuff in Vodka? I was going to try using Vinegar if I didn't get much response on this thread. But the Sugar seems the least offensive of the bunch. At least for now.

I also keep a planted FW aquarium in which I use a carbon supplement to but that stuff is too expensive and far far scarier to dump into a mixed reef tank.

ijo
    Good luck... do keep us posted on you progress...

IJO

Quote Originally Posted by IJO View Post
    Good luck... do keep us posted on you progress...

IJO
    Made quite a bit of headway with this.

1/2 tablespoon every morning tossed into the sump and there is a big difference in diatom/cyano and possible dynoflagellate that had started colonizing my sand bed at the base of the rockwork.

Bryopsis that has been plaguing a rock near the corner overflow has turned light green and is declining. My skimmer cup is 2x as full without touching any settings on it.

I'm glad I have done this as it has helped me get ahead of a declining situation. But I also heard the cautions and will now re-examine my source water and salt mix.

powder18

freaking tried that sugar to get rid off those cyno, didnt workout hella gets so worse in my tank. i even try those medication bought from big al's to control this cyno also didn't work as well, rather to change water every week and reduced feeding my fish within a month cyno's slowly dissapear. i think when you over feed your fish this cynos it will start to come out, also reduced your light too. thats what i did to get rid off all this cyno. i hope i help a bit hmm.."vodka" :b2:

I was using live phtyo in my system last year and the effects of that might have been mitigating my lack of an RO system. When I upgraded to the bigger tank I bought a much better skimmer and quit culturing phyto as phyto and skimmers don't seem to make much sense together. I wonder if that change in approach is leading me down the road to the more generic equipment dominated system of the Modern Marine System? I was more toward the Leng Sy or Addy/Loveland type natural systems before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast