Thread: Anemone???

Anemone???

I picked up a pair of Percula clowns today, I have them in QT right now, and wanted to get a anemone for them, now I know they host Magnifica anemone in the wild, these are tank raised clowns, I just didnt want to jump right into such a difficult anemone to keep, is there any other that they will host that are easyer to take care of? Thanks in advance

Paze

I have 2 couples of black and white ocellaris(in different tanks) and they are all hosted by bubble tip anemones.

true percs???

unfortunately the natural hosts for that species are two of the toughest to keep anemones, H. magnifica and S. gigantea.

the best starter anemone is the BTA ( E. quadricolor ) but i would wait before adding any sensitive invertebrates, most would recommend at least a 6 month old tank. there's also no guarantee that they'll take to the BTA, mine ( false percs ( A. ocellaris ) haven't after years, they just swim right past :b1:

HTH
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Have you tired to put a picture of a clownfisn in a bubble tip on the glass? I had one of my couples that like yours, seem to have no idea what an anemone was for a year. I had read about using a picture but never really believed it worked but decided to try anyway. It only took 2 days and they were in the anemone. You should really try.

There false percs, Im going to wait atleast 6 months or so before I even get one, Im going to try a BTA for a starter, I really anemone but they can be a pain from what I read.

Paze

Quote Originally Posted by Chipie View Post
    Have you tired to put a picture of a clownfisn in a bubble tip on the glass? I had one of my couples that like yours, seem to have no idea what an anemone was for a year. I had read about using a picture but never really believed it worked but decided to try anyway. It only took 2 days and they were in the anemone. You should really try.
    i may have to. these clowns did host the S. gigantea i had last year, after a month or two. i was hoping they would just move over to the BTA's after the gigantea stopped eating.... but no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by PAZE View Post
    There false percs, Im going to wait atleast 6 months or so before I even get one, Im going to try a BTA for a starter, I really anemone but they can be a pain from what I read.

with false percs you can also add S. mertensii to the natural hosts but now you have a list of the three toughest to keep anemones. yes anemones can be a pain but i've found if you let them choose where to live and keep them fed they don't move much.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

I have 2 nice false clowns. They took almost 3 months before I finally saw them in my BTA... My bubble tip never moves; however, it had split into 2, and then a 3rd... I managed to get the 3rd anemone out. Was then back down to 2. Then it split again, and now I'm back to 3... They're taking up a bit of valuable real estate for potential SPS corals... In the meantime, my clowns are having a blast having 3 homes to constantly switch back and forth too.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse