Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need Good Return Pump...

I am looking at new return pumps and am having a hard time deciding. My tank is a 75 gallon with a 35 gallon sump.

I liked the Eheim 1262 but it is only rated at 900 gph before headloss. I want a little more flow than this.

Money is not an issue. I want a really good submersible pump that runs around 1200 to 1500 gph.

I have heard good and bad about Mags. Some say they run hot and can be loud. I heard Quei Ones are decent.

Can anyone help or recommend? I want to order one soon. Perhaps one of the sponsors have something as I would like to order from Canada.

Thanks

If you want submersible you are fairly limited in your choice - in fact you have already named the ones I know of. Going external has lots of advantages, such as less heat transfered to your water, lower failure rates from leaking seals, no risk of electrical shock, more selection.

I have a mag 7 running a small loop and I don't find it noisy but then I have 2 mak-4 pumps running beside it and they are noisy so maybe I can't hear the Mag. It has been reliable so far but it has no head to push against.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

I would prefer a submersible. I see the external's to have a higher risk for failure/leaky seal or bulkhead.

I do like the idea of the pump not transferring the heat to the water. But I dont think I will have an issue with that anyway.

There must be some really good ones out there.

I have a mag12, virtually silent. takes little space... I once had the shaft break had to order a new one. It cost less then 10 bucks for a replacement impeller/shaft... which is excellent to have as a spare. I would recommend it. Are you sure you want that much flow? Will your overflow take it?
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

I am having the tank drilled shortly. I am going to set up the 'Bean Animal' three drain overflow system. I am also having the overflow box made. It will be centered on the upper back wall of the tank. I am not sure the other dimensions but for the three holes to be in the box it will have to be around 18" long. So I think the flow will be fine.

I am running an Ecoplus 1267 Submersible and I would recommend these pumps to people I know.

It is a bit big as it has a prefilter unit and plastic strainer over the intake.(i took the sponge out) It does have a Ceramic Shaft, stainless steel abrasion jacket and all that other SW required stuff. People used to rave about the Mag and it's big selling point was being manufactured in the US. Guess what, it's made made in China now too, just all the other pumps.

The 1267 has a good performance curve with 950gph at 4 ft head but it does suck up 90 W of power. I have had mine running since last September and it has not given any sign of poor quallity or any other issues. I think I have only clenaed it once since then, now that I am thinking about it. It just never causes any issue that I have had to go look at it.

Where did you get your Ecoplus?

I got mine near Kingston. Sent you a pm.

I own a quiet one and a mag pump. I prefer the mag pump. Way more flow and much more silent and on top of that it uses less power than the quiet one. I don't know why they call them quiet one because the one I have is very noisy. I'm no longer using the quiet one, it's now just kept as a spare.

Sounds like most people are happy with the mags. Im strongly considering.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast