Thread: clams

clams

Hey a4twenty I know your a clam fanatic so when is a good time to add a few of these into a system, should I wait a bit more till my tank is more established or can I add them now?

Thanks, Paze

liv
    your tank needs to be established for sure.. and you need quite alot of light for clams. how old is your system ? whats growing in it and what type of lighting you got ?

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Well you burst my bubble right away lol, The system is very new, I think my lighting is more the enough 8-T5's 54watts 4 super atanics and 4 whites. I'll wait, I have time, Thanks

Paul

I bought a little Squamosa clam. Out of all the ones listed in my books it seemed like my best bet. I bought one about 1.5 in long and it was doing well for a while, but has started to decline now. It might just be some water quality issues, but it also might be that younger clams do not have the same level of zooanthale (sp) bearing tissues and therefore require special feeding.

Just something to keep in mind as you look into them more. 3"-4" and up for me next time.

i agree, it's recommended to wait at least 6 months or more before adding any sensitive invertebrates.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyfish View Post
    I bought a little Squamosa clam. Out of all the ones listed in my books it seemed like my best bet. I bought one about 1.5 in long and it was doing well for a while, but has started to decline now. It might just be some water quality issues, but it also might be that younger clams do not have the same level of zooanthale (sp) bearing tissues and therefore require special feeding.

Just something to keep in mind as you look into them more. 3"-4" and up for me next time.
    actually the clams mantle is fully developed and remains proportional to the size of the clam right from metamorphosis. as long as you're providing the clam with the light he needs ( varies by species ) and there are some free nutrients in the tank ( fish that you feed ) then supplemental feeding isn't required. though if done right dosing some phytoplankton can be beneficial to the whole tank, clams included.

the problem with buying smaller clams is the actual age of the clam and the stress involved in shipping, etc..... a 1 1/2" squamosa isn't even a year old, so i always look for larger specimens ( >3" ), except for crocea's. they grow much slower and a 3" crocea can / will be over 3 years olds and are safe to buy. unfortunately, from what i have been hearing Vietnam has stopped shipping crocea's so they may be hard to find for a while.

Kennyfish, if you want to send me a recent pic or two of your clam along with some info about your system i may be able to help you with the problem.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

powder18

my tank its only 4 months and half old since i shut down the whole system last christmass. i think you should do more check up your water if its everything such as amonia, nitrate, salinity, calcium, level etc..those what you need to keep in your mind it should be in right level. i've got my first crocea clam in my tank right now, so far i dont see any problem at all. i regulary check up my water just incase went something wrong lol. what kind a light are you using right now? MH, T5 this should be ok, right now i've got 250w 15k XM at my 65gal. goodluck bud:b16: