Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation SOS Calcium!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey everyone.

Well my problem starts here. I have a 90g and I want my tank to be an SPS paradise but I don't understand anything about calcium.
    :b5: I was going to buy the tests this week but the more I reed the more I get confused.
    My corals are in hold till I know how to keep my CA high.

*I've heard that I have to top off my tank dossing the top off water with kalkwasser.
    *I've heard that I could keep my CA high by changing the 25% of my water every 2 weeks but I don't think this will be possible in such a big system and with so many sps corals.
    *How about dossing thr tank with those kent, seachem products? Will this be enough??
    *I don't want to pay a lot of money for a calcium reactor (but if its the easist way I'll do it)

Pleaseee help me!

Mauricio.

Any coral with a stony skeleton uses calcium. It takes it from the water to build its structure. So you need to replenish the Ca to match the amount your corals are taking out.

The test is simple and cheep if you just use a basic AP kit but you should also test Alk at the same time. Ca and Alk are intertwined.

I haven't got into Ca reactors Or Kalwaser drips and use the 2 part Seachem products. One part raises alk the other Ca. You should always test both to keep them where you want.

Kenny thanks for the answer!
    So you think that I'll do fine by just adding CA and ALK supplements?

Thanks

Mauricio.

All depends on how advanced your setup is and what you expect from it. I am not a high end reefkeeper so I am happy with using the 2 part. I only have a 4 bulb tek light with two fairly easy SPS and a bunch of LPS. I manage my Ca and Alk fine.

If I had dual halides over my 90 with a dozen or so types of SPS I would probably want more technology to protect that investment. There are plenty of people with a lot of experience who will comment a bit later. But It all depends on what you want to do

as you guys have already talked about, there are several ways to control / maintain the Ca and Alk in your systems. you'll just have to decide on which is best for you based on several things.

the first step would be to purchase a good quality Ca, Alk, Mg and pH test kit or probe, to see where you stand.

at first it can be economical to use one method but as demand grows and your time becomes more important spent elsewhere other methods will have greater advantages. a good two part system will serve most reefers well, until they decide to go SPS / clam crazy, then kalk and reactors will become a better choice.

IMO to start, test first then use a two part, get used to how to maintain proper reef parameters then move from there.

HTH
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Thanks everyone!

I just decided that I won't add any coral to my system till I get a CA reactor. probably next month. I'll keep reading and posting questions lol :b2:

Mauricio.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite View Post
    Thanks everyone!

I just decided that I won't add any coral to my system till I get a CA reactor. probably next month. I'll keep reading and posting questions lol :b2:

Mauricio.
    Adding afew sps specimens won't deplete your system of calcium. It's having a system jammed full of stony corals from one end to the other that's going to really suck it back. I drip kalk and use a two part alk/calcium. I have no room for a reactor.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

liv
    totally agree, you can start by dripping the 2 part stuff.
    over the long term, as your corals get big, the reactor will be the cheaper route for sure.. or do it now the only thing is that with low CA demand you will have to tweak your reactor accordingly so as not to cause a snow storm in your tank ( soluté of CA in saltwater ) and as corals grow, simply adjust.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post
    get used to how to maintain proper reef parameters then move from there.

HTH
    don't underestimate the subtly of that statement. I am glad you put the coral order on hold for a while. Go slow and savor it. There is a lot to understand and try to get the big picture, how the individual things like Ca/Mg/Alk/PH all work together in a greater cycle :b6:

Honestly if you're on a budget I'd say go with baline method of dosing (3 - part) Alk/Cal/Mag - It's cheaper as there is less startup costs basically need three components, 3 containers, mix and off ya go. You can get a kit from reefbulk supply.
    Initially you can dose manually, and then move on to using dosing pumps, which you can pick up a unit reletively cheap comparing to a calcium reactor setup + equip.

P.S. - Once you're past the calcium problems, get ready for the red bugs, the sps eating flatworms, and some more fun stuff
    75G Starphire 24X30x24 Coast to Coast Overflow

Return Pump: T4 Velocity (1255 Gph)
    Water Movement: 2 x Tunze 1045’s on a wave function from my reefkeeper 2
    Lighting: Giesemann Infinity 250w HQI 14k + 4x24w T5 Actinics
    Skimmer: Bubble King 180 Mini
    Calcium: Dual Chamber reactor with dosing pimp and Milwakee PH control

Ozone: Red Sea Aquazone plus 100mg
    Cooling: 1/10hp Pacific Coast Chiller
    Other: ATO, RODI, Phosban

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast