RTN of Green Monti Cap

So I am loosing my first coral after 1.5 years of reefing. It is a green monti cap that I got at first meeting. When I looked over the tank this morning it was sliming heavily and a part of it had lost its tissue.
    I don't know what it could be but I coral dipped it before work and I'll have to see if it is still alive when I get home.
    The orange cap is doing fine and all tank parameters are in line. It was placed in the bottom 1/3 of the tank but from what I had read the green caps don't need as much light as the purple or orange variety.
    Any suggestions?
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer

Re: RTN of Green Monti Cap

Just my two cents worth.  I saved a montipora digitata once by doing the following steps.

I would do at least 10% water changes daily for a week and see how the corals are doing. Increase water current over the SPS to help remove dead tissue and not let it sit and keep infecting the SPS. And lastly do a iodine dip on each SPS. And this part is going to suck. But you may have to remove the colonies from their base to do the dip, but it's a choice of losing the entire colony or saving what you can.

Oh, if you can't increase water current in the tank, then take a turkey baster and manually blow on the coral until it looks like it's going to do fine.

Doing the clipping is a great start in saving the entire colony

Keep us posted on the progress.....
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Thanks, lucky for me I guess it is just the monti cap frag that is infected. It would be hard to break off every one of my sps's and do a dip. But all my other corals are doing really well so I don't think the tank is infected. I isolated the monti this morning so if it does go nothing else should follow it.
    I wonder if it didn't have enough light? I have Crocea clams at the same level and they are doing fine so I think light is good enough.
    I did a dip this morning so I'll have to wait until tonight to see how it is doing.
    I may have to frag it and try and save a piece.
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.

The frustrations of SPS are that they can meltdown really, really fast. Most often for no aparent reason they just rot before your eyes. My only successfull interventions were to break off healthy branches isolated from the plague and ditch the rest so you don't load your system down. I've seen acropora, montipora and stylophora do this in my tank. I guess it's all part of the challenge.
    True Perc

When I came home it still had some of its color but I will have to wait and see if it survives. There isn't a piece to break off that isn't infected. It was only a frag about the size of a loonie.
    Time will tell.
    ________

That's too bad..

A few of us have green caps so if you loose it and don't see any others for sale, we should be able to help.

Mine's still the size of yours, so give me a while.

I have yet to place my 3 frags of mcap - they are growing though. Orange, Green & Purple with blue polyps.

Good luck S! Hope everything else is OK.
    Fishysan ><>
    ---
    180g display main floor, 150g trough, 75g, 20g in basement
    SPS, LPS, softies, many clams & 14 fish
    main: 250w AB DE HQI x 3, 5' x 3 VHO actinic - trough: 400w venki

Thanks, everything else is wicked. The monti is gone. So sad. Well get yours into your 400watt sun room and grow baby grow. I would love a purple and green cap.
    See you Sunday.
    ________

ijo

reeferboy.. I still have a green cap in the grow tank. &nbsp;If you want I could bring you a nice sized piece on Sunday. &nbsp;Let me know &nbsp;

IJO

Thanks Ivan, I think I will wait a bit.
    ________