to sump or not to sump?! is the question.

ok so i have had my reef set up and established for about 2 years not i recently switched my tanks from a make shift 90 gal that was on a sketchy stand, i really wasnt sure how much longer it was going to hold. now it's in another 90gal. i forget the name of the tank, but it's really nice i'll post a pic so you can see it clearly.
    now my question is i have had my reef going in this tank for about 6 months now. and i'v been thinking about getting it drilled and attaching a sump onto it. (yes the same aquarium the reef is in right now). i dont know if this would be at all worth while. or should i just leave it how it is now. i havnt had a problem with anything yet (knock on wood).
    and if i do attempt to drill this tank i was wondering how i should go about it, in other words what should i do with all the live stock i have in there haha...

thank you for all your help
    once again
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails to sump or not to sump?! is the question.-aaaqqqqqq.jpg  

Btw

by the way thats an old picture same aquarium but i have a whole lot more rocks and coral in there

liv
    to Sump is the awnser

You should take the time and empty the tank completely...in case of failure.. at least its empty I recommend drilling 2 holes. I personnaly like the 2.5" diamond bits you can put in that size a 1.5" ID bulkhead. I like to drill horizontal with the bit fully submerged in water to keep the glass cooled and minimise the risks.

take your time, and post some pics

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

i agree, adding a sump is a great idea.

i would use a couple of large Rubbermaid brute containers to temporarily store all the livestock and water while drilling. it would be a good idea before drilling to check with the tank manufacturer to make sure the back pane has not been tempered. you can also check with a pair of polarized sunglasses if you're not sure of the manufacturer.

good luck and if you're not sure about anything, just ask :b15:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post
    you can also check with a pair of polarized sunglasses if you're not sure of the manufacturer.
    How can you tell with polarized glasses?

ok awsome sounds good! i have the rubbermaid containers, but wouldnt i have to leave all the water and live stock in there for a couple days?! i would have to drill attach all the piping wait for the glues and stuff to dry no!?
    i have a feeling my life is going to get very complicated when i do this haha!!
    thanks for all the info, i saw a design for a sump on here i'm probably going to use that one.

liv
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
    How can you tell with polarized glasses?
    "usually" polarized glass when using sunglasses that are polarized or camera filters will give off a pattern on the glass.. check car windshields or other polarized sunglasses. again "usually" the sides are safe.. its the bottoms that may be tempered. if you are still not sure after the sunglasses thing, you can always ask the manufacturer if you know who made it if it is or isn't.

as for the plumbing you are correct.. it will require a few bins and possible a few days for the glue to fully cure, but I do not think that that is necessary. Usually the bond it strong enough within minutes since its an overflow there is no pressure.. you could wait a few hours to be safe. in my mind thats quite enough. we don't need the 48h cure rate for the 240psi rating.. since we do not even use 1 psi. ( my 0.02 cents ) rinse them a few hours after they are glued before filling your tank backup to wash our any residues.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30