Thread: Clams Suck!

Clams Suck!

Well I guess they are okay when they behave themselves but this weekend they didn't.

The weekend started off so promising. A beautiful Saturday morning, spent at the gym, come home to work outside with the family, then all heck breaks loose. There was a wild storm kicked up with what I can only describe as tornado like winds, that just about blew my daughter and dog away (they were okay, a little traumatized). Then as we sit inside watching the storm the power starts flickering on and off then browning out for probably an hour.

Finally all seems well and we are just sitting down to supper when my 5 year old tries to tell me that my clam shot at the fishy but the fishy got away. I right it off as his imagination. Then as we sit there I realize he was telling the truth, my very large squamosa clam started spawning. This is a first and I think yeah it's spawning, so what, it's one clam and I have ~350g of water in the system with a big skimmer, I'm fine.

What I should have done right away was to begin making water for a change but I didn't. After about an hour (as we ate) the tank became very cloudy, but didn't realize it was as bad until I walked in to see the smaller tank in the system. I then realized just what I was in for, so down to the basement I went. There was already enough crap in the water that the fall into the sump was acting like a protien skimmer. So I stuck in some brand new charcoal into the phosban and fired it up, emptied the skimmer and started some makeup water. I found the skimmer cup was filling every 30 minutes or so. There went my evening. I proceeded to make my trips to the basement to keep the skimmer going while I made the water up. By 3:30am I had the makeup water up to temp and salinity and in it went. Started another batch of makeup water and passed out on the couch. With kids they don't care what time you went to bed they still want you up so up I got. Around lunch on Sunday I did another large water change but by now the water had visually cleared from it's cloudiness.

In the end I know the squamosa and maxima both spawned but am not sure if my crocea joined in or not. Everything in the tank appears to be okay but the squamosa and maxima both have me worried as neither was opened very far by last night. I guess only time will tell.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for reading.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Sponsor - Ottawa Inverts
    They will be fine.

Clams spawning is both amazing to watch and a royal PITA!

My crocea clams started spawning recendly too. My Octopus extreme and recirc skimmer were going nuts and my Tunze and Red Sea Berlin finally starter skimmer but they just couldnt come close to keeping up with the bioload of the clams spawning. I moved the MRC skimmer over and within 2 hours it had produced 5 gallons for incredibly disgusting skimmate...

Carbon will help but if your simmer cant pull everything out quick enough then keep doing those water changes!
    Hours:
    Saturdays: 10am - 6pm
    Sundays: 10am - 12pm "Salty Sundays"
    Sundays: 12pm - 6pm

Contact us at:
    613-884-SALT
    613-884-7258

an hour without power shouldn't have been enough to start a spawning incident, there may be another problem. generally a clam will only spawn in our systems as a sign of stress or survival instinct, fully mature clams may spawn naturally in our systems but this is far less common.

a lot of people don't actually realize the risks involved with a spawning clam and failure to act can lead to the death of the entire tank. as you pointed out, when clams spawn they also releases pheromones that can trigger other mature members of the tridacnid to join in. the problems start to occur about an hour after the spawning event when the gametes start to die, all at once. this simultaneous die off will cause and NH3 spike which can be very hard on the rest of the tank inhabitants, ending with a build up of other non desirable nutrient in the tank. O2 levels will also become depleted during this die off, leading to other serious problems for all other tank inhabitants.

sounds like you handled it right. the best course of action is to remove the spawning clam to a QT ( or other ) if possible, to prevent triggering other clams as well as reduce the amount of nutrients being dumped into your tank. then do large water changes and keep your skimmer running 100%. running some fresh carbon is also a very good idea and should be changed out regularly.

sounds like you made it through the worst of it, let us know how they make out.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

I didn't actually loose power for more then minutes at a time, it just flashed, surged and browned out for an hour. I have had this clam for over 2 years and the other two for longer then that and haven't had a problem. Nothing had changed other then what the storm caused and the other corals/fish looked fine right up until the show started.

Removing the clam crossed my mind but it fills the bottom of a salt pail and with no way to heat, or filter a bucket I thought that may be more stressfull on the clam. I had actually just told someone that I was thinking of selling him as he took too much space up in my tank, I think I hurt his feelings.

In the end I think I got the worst end of the deal just from the sleep deprivation but I will see how everything is tonight when I get home.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

liv
    I got a spawing last summer after a long power outage.
    I didn't loose anything.. but skimmer worked overtime for about 2 days.
    I also put in new carbon and ran ozone at the time.... corals actually seemed to enjoy it.. polyps extended and possibly feeding mouthful of the stuff.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

in larger systems ( like yours ) the risks are greatly reduced due to volume of water and the fact we run oversize skimmers, it would be a much different story in smaller systems with less efficient equipment.

in your case liv, i would suspect it was brought on by the temperature change. other changes that may spark a spawning event would be quick changes in salinity ( to much top off water at once ) / water quality stability ( large water changes or suddenly running large amounts of AC or PO4 remover ) / lighting changes ( replacing overdue bulbs ).
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

liv
    ya.. makes me rethink about a ups or a generator unit again.
    going with a smaller system, I may become more at risk of such a thing.
    I wish I had a UPS large enough to take the immediate charge, so now down time at all for the entire house, then have the generator start and recharge the UPS and feed house until hydro comes back.. once hydro back and stable, system would jump back on UPS fed by hydro. or a side panel just to feed the tank that had a UPS attached.

On a similar idea.. I lost 3 hard drives this week due to a few consecutive brown outs..server was set to power-on on power failures.. so it powered up a few times within a few minutes.
    I couldn't believe it!!! 3 in a row.. what are the odds. controllers are shot on all 3... makes you rethink UPS !!!!!!

as for the tank:
    I didn't think much of it at the time other then a fun to watch show.. but it could have been worse... and didn't fully grasp the danger. thanks for the reminder

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30