Thread: Clam Death

Unhappy Clam Death

This is the first major kick in the head since I started this hobbie. I had a beautiful DERESEA clam for almost 3 years and in 2 days it went south. I checked the tank high and low for any trouble but all other creatures are just fine and water is bang on.This clam has always bin a little disformed with one side larger than the other. I found it on its side more than once cecause when it coughed it was lobsided and fell over. I checked underneath my clam and to tell you the truth I never did see a well formed foot and could see right into the clam. I'm thinking that it might have been possible injured right from the purchase and managed to survive this long. It was growing okay but in the last 6 months new shell was not being added. This is a sad day. I also have pyramid snails on a few of my other snails but have never seen any close to the clam. This sucks as I'm just about to purchase a MAXIMA or CROCEA and now I'm a tad nervous. Any ideas clam owners.?

I lost a maxima a month ago to pyramid snails. I took the clam out of the tank and scrubbed him down but it was too late.
    I noticed that there were pyramid snails deep in the foot of the clam and it was quite red and irratated. I would deal with the snails before you get another.
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer

stig

I wonder how to rid them of these snails without introducing another fish? I have no room for anymore fish. I take out the astrea snails when I see any Pyramid SNAILS and remove them but when a MAXIMA or CROCEA attaches I wonder how we would deal with that? Sorry about your loss as I love clams and it sucks to see them go.

How many fish do you have in the 90?
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer

fish

12! mostly small guys but I'm maxed. Need to get the other tank very soon.

JOhn,
    It IS those Pyramellid snails that are doing the damage. They will go in through the underside hole and eat from the inside. You won't see them on the outside. A common way people use is to place the clam on a half oyster or scallop shell and place this on the sand bed. When the clam attaches, you can easily remove it from the tank to clean. I also agree that you WILL have to deal with the snails before more clams die. The only way is by predation. Yellow wrasses, 6 line wrasses and often Leopard wrasses will eat the snails. However, you have to know that these snails will hide during the day and come out in the dark or when only actinics are on. Lots of wrasses bury for the night so the only time they will hunt these down is during dusk/dawn times. If you don't do the dusk/dawn thing, then most probably even theses fish won't help. It has to be a photoperiod when they are both out and active.

I had the little snalis on y turbos until I added my six line and yellow wrasse. I haven't seen any since...

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!